VMware Cloud Community
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Stand Alone vmWare 3.5x hosts to vSphere 4.0u1

Hello -

I've learned that installing vSphere on a new machine (newly created array / partition) will destroy the entire partition and format all additional space in vmfs3 block size 1m. In order to get around this, I had to create a 2nd partition, and install vSphere on the first partition, leaving the 2nd partition on the local store for the large block (2m) size.

I have a few stand alone vSphere hosts running local storage with several VMs on them. They do not have shared storage. If I try and install vSphere on them, will vSphere installer overwrite the existing vmfs volume and destroy my existing VMs unless they are moved?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - I meant I have a few Stand Alone vMware 3.5x hosts...not vSphere hosts.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the documentation of ESX 4.0 Update 1, there is an option to retain an existing VMFS volume which exists on the OS disk/LUN.

From the ESX and vCenter Server Installation Guide Update 1 - ESX 4.0 - vCenter Server 4.0 (page 41)

"NOTE With ESX 4.0 Update 1 and later if you have ESX installation and VMFS partition on the same disk or LUN you have an option to retain the VMFS volume."

André

0 Kudos