VMware Cloud Community
Download80
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade RC to RTM

Hi all,

I have ESX 4 build 140815 that I would like to upgrade to build 164009 (RTM version).

I've upgraded all ESX servers using Update Manager but Update Manager won't upgrade this server because it is version 4 already.

I also tried using Host Update Utility but it says this server doesn't need upgrades or updates.

I also tried to boot the server from ESX installation CD and do an upgrade like in ESX 3.5, but it says you can't do it in version 4 - only use Update Manager or Host Update Utility.

What can I do?

Yair

MCSE, CCA, VCP & HP-AIS.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
fejf
Expert
Expert

As far as I remember the Beta/RC-Notes explicitly told the admin that there will be no upgrade path from this version to GA. So the only way I know off is to use vMotion/Storage vMotion/Cold Migration to move the VMs away and do a clean install.

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Actually you do not want this, even if you do.

Why? Because if you upgrade from vSphere beta/RC to a full blown vSphere then your system is not the same as when updating it from one of the released versions of ESX.

So this brings you in an untested -and worse even UNSUPPORTED - environment.

The solution is to simply re-install from scratch.

You can keep your VMs so it is not really a problem, at least it shouldn't be as you should not run production on an unreleased product.

--

Wil

Visit the VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva