VMware Cloud Community
jburen
Expert
Expert

Upgrade PSC fails with vapi.endpoint errors

I'm working on an environment with two Windows PSC's behind a NetScaler load balancer and one Windows vCenter running on a two-node Windows Failover Cluster. Everything is version 6 with an extended support contract 🙂 At the moment the load balancer only has one PSC active and the other one disabled so we can work on it without disturbing business.

I started with the first PSC but whatever I do, the migration to a 6.7 appliance fails with an error related to vapi.endpoint.

Is there someone with expertise on how to perform this migration?

BTW I also submitted an SR with GSS.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
7 Replies
jonastro
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Thanks for posting in VMware communities.

I would like to gather more information on this case.

Can you share the SR number which you have opened with GSS ?

Regards,

Jonathan

VMware Install/Upgrade Team

VMware Cloud Foundation
0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

Hi Jonathan, its SR20132468006.

In the meantime, I had a meeting with the network team about the NetScaler LB. One of the PSCs was disabled in the LB so they enabled it again.

0 Kudos
jonastro
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Here is what I understand based on the details updated on the case:

You have windows based vCenter 6.0 running on windows 2012 which is connected to two external PSC behind a Netscaler load balancer.

Currently one of the PSC is updated  to 6.0 U3i to match with the same version as vCenter.

Error:

Errors related to vapi endpoint  (need more details)

Plan:

Need to upload the migration failure logs to the SR so that our GSS team could further look into this case.

Once the vapi errors are fixed, I would suggest the following POA:

• Keep the updated PSC active and disable the other PSC via Netscaler.
  • Please note that starting from 6.7, the external Platform Services Controller architecture is deprecated and will not be available in future releases - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/60229
  • Recommended to proceed with migration/upgrade process and later converge to 6.7.
VMware Cloud Foundation
0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

To make matters worse... instead of performing a migration from Windows to an appliance, we tried to just do an upgrade of the Windows PSC. But the first thing the installer did was remove the complete installation! No upgrade! The only option we had was to install a new PSC or join it to an existing one. But that last option was not possible because the other PSC was still on version 6.0. So basically one PSC is dead!

We followed the steps from VMware Knowledge Base but instead of an upgrade, we got a removal 😞

0 Kudos
jonastro
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry to hear that!

Since this requires more attention and in depth review of logs I have already flagged internally to the team working in your timezone.

One of them should be able to reach out to you today to get this addressed.

VMware Cloud Foundation
0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

In the end, we did manage to migrate the hosts to another vCenter and do a Move-VM on all the VMs so this old 6.0 environment is no longer used. And our issue no longer relevant. Thanks for your effort.

jonastro
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Glad to hear that.

Do reach out to our communities for any future assistance and feel free to invite your friends and colleagues to our forum.

Closing this thread. You have a great day.

Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)

VMware Cloud Foundation
0 Kudos