VMware Cloud Community
xadox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade Migration not working

Because v4.1 needs a x64 System we have to migrate the vCenter Server to a new mashine. Actualy we have a Win2k3 x86 Server the new server will be a Win2k8 R2 x64 Server.

So I followed the vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf and started the backup.bat on the old Server. The backup process has worked without an error.

Acctualy I did not unterstand why whe VMware DB was recognised as Custom, because we use the bundled MSSQL Express 2005 DB.

So the datamigration folder was transfered to the new server and we startet the install.bat. This has also worked without an error.

And now the problem if I connect to the new server with te vSphere Client v4.1 everything is empty. I have to setup a license number for the vCenter Server, I have to create a Datacenter for new and so on.So something has gone wrong.

Can anybody please help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Will you please upload the backup, restore and vcinstallation log files?

Few questions -

Did you perform multistep upgrade for legacy VC (i.e install vc40 then upgrade to vc40u1 something like that)

Seems like you hit a known issue where the backup is not detecting it as bundled db if multistep upgrade is performed.

If above is true please try below workaround -

- Go back to original legacy vCenter machine and change DbServerType in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc\VMware virtualCenter\ from Custom to Bundled

- Perform the same steps above and the vcenter server inventory will be populated; it succeeds

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Regards, Ramesh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Will you please upload the backup, restore and vcinstallation log files?

Few questions -

Did you perform multistep upgrade for legacy VC (i.e install vc40 then upgrade to vc40u1 something like that)

Seems like you hit a known issue where the backup is not detecting it as bundled db if multistep upgrade is performed.

- Go back to original legacy vCenter machine and change DbServerType in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc\VMware virtualCenter\ from Custom to Bundled

- Perform the same steps above and the vcenter server inventory will be populated; it succeeds

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I had the same issue, in the end I installed the SQL express management tools on the old server and the new server, I did a manual backup of the database on the old server.

I had to uninstall vCenter on the new x64 server first, but it is important to leave the SQL express database installed.

I then simply did a detach of the old database and copied it accross to the new server and attached it, I then created the x64 DSN and reinstalled vCenter.

As part of the install it tells you the database is an old version and shopuld be upgraded

Once it upgraded the database and finished installing everything was there as in the previous server.

I hope this helps

Scott

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
xadox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

• Go back to original legacy vCenter machine and change DbServerType in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc\VMware virtualCenter\ from Custom to Bundled

• Perform the same steps above and the vcenter server inventory will be populated; it succeeds

You are right. I will give it a trie.

0 Kudos
xadox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem solved thx to RAMESA :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos