VMware Cloud Community
NuclearFisher1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade ESXi 5.0U2 to 5.1 - Supermicro X7SBi

Hi there.

Supermicro X7SBi has lost the network (both NICs) after reboot during upgrade from ESXi 5.0U2 to ESXi 5.1 via Update Manager.

Local console displays ESXi 5.1 version and correct IP settings.

After manual reboot host starts responding to ping for about 6 seconds then disappears again.

Has anyone encountered something like that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sinep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I should have been more clear with that statement.

I have the new X9SCM-F SuperMicro motherboard and an old X7SBi both require the Intel e1000 drivers.

On the X9SCM-F with ESXi versions 5 and 5.1 only one of the two NIC's work, the custom driver is required for the additional NIC to function.

On the X7SBi with ESXi version 5.1 neither of the two NIC's work, the custom driver is required for any NIC to function.

Also I should mention I didn't write or have any involvement making the custom driver, I came across it looking for solutions to my first problem, and it appears to have saved me again.

I'm sure that VMWare will resolve these issues in the future, but I would expect two IT giants like VMWare and Intel should be able to come to the market with working systems off the shelf, it's a little disappointing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
NuclearFisher1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update.

The same shit happens for the fresh installation of ESXi 5.1.

Two identical hosts with X7SBi MBs has been tested.

0 Kudos
Sinep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also have the same problem with both NIC's on a X7SBi motherboard with ESXi 5.1, you are not alone.

0 Kudos
Sinep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running these commands from the command console will replicate a reboot for testing purposes.

esxcfg-module -u e1000e

esxcfg-module e1000e

0 Kudos
Sinep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem solved and tested using unofficial driver

Get the ESXi 5.1 ISO and the unofficial e1001e driver

Install and run thisprogram

Burn and install your custom ISO
The e1001e driver has also helped me get the second NIC going under ESXi 5-5.1 on the new SuperMicro X9SCM motherboards.
I have been running the unofficial e1001e driver for 5 months without issue.
Sinep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also I haven't tested this but it should work without reinstalling ESX.

From the console:

esxcli software acceptance set --level=CommunitySupported
or more likely if your NIC is constantly dying.
esxcli software vib install -v /path/to/flashdrive/net-e1001e-1.0.0.x86_64.vib

Then reboot
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

also refer my blog to install the driver or update the driver in the ESXi

http://pibytes.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/vmware-esxi-network-driver-install-and-upgrade/

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
0 Kudos
NuclearFisher1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot guys!

Does anyone knows if VMware going to fix the issue in the stock image or am I doomed to cook the customized ones for each future release? Smiley Wink

It would seem, Intel82573E/L is not the NIC, which is time to retire.

0 Kudos
Sinep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not certain, all I know is I have been using this custom driver for the e1000 since ESXi 5.0 and no VMWare support yet.

0 Kudos
NuclearFisher1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What exactly made you switch to the custom driver?

As for me, there were np with the stock one until 5.1.

0 Kudos
Sinep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I should have been more clear with that statement.

I have the new X9SCM-F SuperMicro motherboard and an old X7SBi both require the Intel e1000 drivers.

On the X9SCM-F with ESXi versions 5 and 5.1 only one of the two NIC's work, the custom driver is required for the additional NIC to function.

On the X7SBi with ESXi version 5.1 neither of the two NIC's work, the custom driver is required for any NIC to function.

Also I should mention I didn't write or have any involvement making the custom driver, I came across it looking for solutions to my first problem, and it appears to have saved me again.

I'm sure that VMWare will resolve these issues in the future, but I would expect two IT giants like VMWare and Intel should be able to come to the market with working systems off the shelf, it's a little disappointing.

0 Kudos
NuclearFisher1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, the reason was that one of the X9SCM-F NICs couldn't work with ESXi 5.0.

That's why you prepared a custom image with the proper custom drivers and installed it on both X9SCM-F and good old X7SBi, right?

And, fortunately, the same custom drivers worked fine with ESXi 5.1 for both MBs, right?

I would say that VMware should pay a little attention to the situation with e1000 (one of the best NICs, so far). Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Sinep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You got it dude

0 Kudos