VMware Cloud Community
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade ESXi 5.0 to 5.1 - No Hardware 9 option available when creating a new vm

Greetings,

I upgraded my esxi 5.0 U1 to 5.1 and tried to create a new vm hoping to use the new hardware 9 version.

Using both the Typical and Custom options I was unable to create a Version 9 Hardware VM by default.

The only option I had was to manually upgrade to version 9 once the VM was created.

Any thoughts or is this as designed? Do I need to reinstall from scratch my host?

dhayashi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To create VMs with HW version 9 you may use the Web Client rather than the Windows based vSphere Client.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To create VMs with HW version 9 you may use the Web Client rather than the Windows based vSphere Client.

André

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The vSphere web client is the new main client.

The C# client won't be updated and this is the last ESXi release which contains it.

All new features will only be available via the web client.

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it documented somewhere in regards to this? and also where it is noted or announced that the GUI client is going away?

I'm a little skeptical of dropping the GUI client so soon since it's hard to compare a web interface vs an actual native app.

I think you can make a comparison when you look at Facebook's retreat from HTML5 and them moving back to a native iOS app.

just my thoughts though.

-thanks- I will try out the web client - i wish I could give the answer status to you both.

-dhayashi-

0 Kudos