VMware Cloud Community
amateolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade 6.7 U3, CUSTOM FOR UPDATE DRIVERS

Hello,

I have a doubt, which I don't know if it's a good practice....

The image installed in my Vmware infraestructure is DellEMC-ESXi-6.7U3-15160138-A04 (witch patch to last version)

I am seeing that a newer one is already available VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0.update03-17700523.x86_64-DellEMC_Customized-A14.iso

My question is..... if it is advisable to use this image to update all the drivers of my Dell PowerEdge servers.....

For example in my current version I have qlnativefc--3.1.19.0 and in the new one it goes up to qlnativefc--3.1.74.0..... is a simple way to have the latest version of all the drivers....... but I don't know if this is a good practice or a crazy one.....

What would be your advice?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

If you have the ISO image of the manufacturer the easiest way to update would be to  boot the server with this ISO and choose the option Update ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore
You must be sure that you chose the disk that contains the previous VMware vSphere installation, as it shows all the internal and external disks that you have access to from the host.

e_espinel_0-1638469293259.png

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a quick question for clarification. You mentioned that the hosts have the latest patches already installed, which is build 18828794. Is this the case, or are you still running build 17700523?

André

0 Kudos
amateolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes 17700523

I want update drivers with this OEM Dell image

0 Kudos
Baron2
Contributor
Contributor

Update drivers quickly fast.

0 Kudos
amateolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you confirm.....this is a good method for update all driver, in one click via UP?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case download use the Dell Offline (.zip) bundle, upload it to a folder on a datastore, and run the below commands to check what the new image will replace.

esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/offline-bundle.zip
esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/offline-bundle.zip -p <profilename> --ok-to-remove --dry-run

From the second command's output check the vibs that are listed in the "vibs installed", and "vibs removed" section. If this looks as expected, run the second command again without "--dry-run". If the command completes successfully, type reboot to complete the update.

André

0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI,

You can add the dell driver repository to the upgrade manager as well:

Then you can create baseline for the hardware drivers and update with the regular patches:

Lifecycle Manager » Settings » Administration » Patch Setup » New

https://vmwaredepot.dell.com/index.xml

Cheers

Blog: vxprt.hu
0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

the dell repository you mentioned does not include drivers - only openmanage stuff.

for driver updates you have to use the custom iso or dells offline bundle

0 Kudos