VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Upgarde Steps from Upgrade Manager

Dear team,

just want to confirm , if i m planning to upgrade my esxi host from upgarde manager then below steps are correct

migrate all VMs to other esxi host, put the server in maintainance mode

“Import ESXi Image” => Create base Line => Attach the same to host or cluster => Remediate => exit from maintenance mode => migrate all vms from this esxi host.

if any change please confirm.

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I assume you are using the default VMware ESXi image (i.e. no OEM build) and DRS is not available!?

I further assume that vCenter Server as well as Update Manger are already up-to-date.

1. Import ESXi Image
  2. Create "Host Upgrade" Baseline using the imported image
  3. Attach the Host Upgrade Baseline to host or cluster
  4. Attach the default Patch Baseline (or an individually created patch baseline) to host or cluster
  5. Enter Maintenance Mode (this will only start the task, and finish once step 6 is done)
  6. Migrate VM's off the host
  7. Reboot the Host (may not be required, but good practice)
  8. Remediate the Host
  9. Check Host settings (e.g. networking, storage, date/time...)
  10. Rescan the host twice for updates/patches
  11. Remediate the patches if applicable
  12. Check Host settings (e.g. networking, storage, date/time...)
  13. Exit from Maintenance Mode
  14. Migrate VMs back to this ESXi host

I usually use the maintenance window to upgrade the host's firmware too (e.g. between steps 7 and 😎

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I assume you are using the default VMware ESXi image (i.e. no OEM build) and DRS is not available!?

I further assume that vCenter Server as well as Update Manger are already up-to-date.

1. Import ESXi Image
  2. Create "Host Upgrade" Baseline using the imported image
  3. Attach the Host Upgrade Baseline to host or cluster
  4. Attach the default Patch Baseline (or an individually created patch baseline) to host or cluster
  5. Enter Maintenance Mode (this will only start the task, and finish once step 6 is done)
  6. Migrate VM's off the host
  7. Reboot the Host (may not be required, but good practice)
  8. Remediate the Host
  9. Check Host settings (e.g. networking, storage, date/time...)
  10. Rescan the host twice for updates/patches
  11. Remediate the patches if applicable
  12. Check Host settings (e.g. networking, storage, date/time...)
  13. Exit from Maintenance Mode
  14. Migrate VMs back to this ESXi host

I usually use the maintenance window to upgrade the host's firmware too (e.g. between steps 7 and 😎

André

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre,

Just want to confirm what do mean by "default VMware ESXi image" and no OEM build...

regards

mr Vmware

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Major vendors like HP, Dell, Fujitsu, Cisco, ... provide modified ESXi images, which contain additional drivers and tools related to their hardware. If you are using such an OEM image, you may need to check the compatibility prior to running any upgrades/patches to ensure proper operation.

André

MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes we are planning to use OEM based image ,

sorry last question

but i m not getting if we are using oem based image then what compatibility check we have to perform prior to any upgrade/patch

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vendors sometimes update their tools, but do not offer a new ESXi ISO image with each of these updates, so prior to apply patches to the ESXi host, you should always check the vendor's specific tools/drivers to see whether they are supported with the latest VMware patches, and or whether you need to update some of them too to be in a supported state.

André