VMware Cloud Community
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Updating to 5U1 from 4.1 - HP Proliant using HP iso?

We have a cluster of four hosts that were installed using the iso from HP that includes all the Insight Management.  My question is now we are ready to update our environment to 5U1.  I have the vCenter iso from vmware and once that is done what is the best way to update the hosts?  Do I need to use the iso from HP or can I upgrade using the one from vmware?

I am just hoping a substitute of the vmware iso with the hp iso and following the install guide is all that is needed but I figured someone else has already done this.  The servers are DL380 G7's.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If not using the HP ISO, I typically just stick the HP offline bundle into VUM and remediate it against the hosts.

Here is the one for ESXi 5

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Ok, I understand this is for a host already at esxi5, not getting the host to esxi5.  Can I just use the HP iso with Update Manager to get the hosts upgraded?

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Shouldn't be an issue. The upgrade process should make comment to the fact that your servers are running 3rd part drivers and that they will be removed as part of the upgrade, but the HP disk will add them back during the ESXi 5.0 upgrade.

Alternatively you can upgrade using the VMware ISO and then use the HP offline bundle.

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos