VMware Cloud Community
pvestuto
Contributor
Contributor

Update path for ESXi 4.1

We have ESXi build 260247.

In order to get our systems up to date, without moving to ESXi 5.0 just yet, can we simply install these patches in this order?

update-from-esxi4.1-4.1_update02       10/27/2011

ESXi410-201201001                              01/30/2012

ESX410-201112001                               also saw this one on one of the download pages, not sure if it is needed also.

If so, it would be installed prior to the 1/30/12 update I presume.

Or, do we need to install the intervening patches since our build was released, including update 1?

- Paul -

0 Kudos
12 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - No need to do interim patches as they are rolled into the successive updates -  so if you move to update 2 you will be upp to date

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You jsut applied the latest update and doesnt required to applied stage by stage update. You update will be latest.

For easily managed, I suggest to use Vmware Update Manager, which easily that you could patch/update your ESXi. But remember, If you update your ESXi, dont forget to update your vCenter first.

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer
0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

In case of ESXi (embedded) you can apply the latest patch of Firmware, gives the latest changes, here you might not get the latest tool fixes, you might need to apply latest update release to the system to get the latest tools if requried.

In case of ESX, its good to install Latest update release first and then apply all patches that has been released after the latest update release.

if you have update manager, it will be easy to resolve the obsolution and coming to latest Code level would be easy

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos
pvestuto
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input.   It sounds like I can start by upgrading just the Upgrade 2 patch and I'll be pretty current.

The steps to do so are a little ambiguous to me so I'd let to get some detail.

My environment consists of two ESXi systems managed by vCenter.  Both nodes are ESXi 4.1 (no updates).  My network is based on Windows and the vCenter node is actually a VM running on one of the ESXi hosts, per recommendations.

I've read the ESX 4.1 Patch Management Guide, http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esxupdate.pdf, and seveal forum articles and documentation, it appears there are several tools available to do the update

• VCLI - I've used this in the past with the vihostupdate command, before our nodes were joined with vCenter.  However, it appears the vihostupdate command cannot be used for nodes controlled by vCenter.  The documentation says to use esxupdate.  However, that does not appear to be a valid command for any of the found namespaces in the vcli syntax.

• vCenter Update Manager - through all of my readings, I thought I saw an article that said I could not use Update manager to put on update 2 since update 2 was needed for applying patches.  (Maybe that was for a cluster environment  - not sure.  I could not find that article again.)  This seems to be the easiest option if I can use it.

• SSH - I have installed a product called PUTTY which gets me to the command prompt of the server.  There the esxupdate command works.  I haven't found any recommended SSH interfaces to get to the command prompt.  I would have thought the vcli application would have done this for me.

So, I have these main questions:

1) What is a recommended way to get the patch onto each host?  I saw one mention of setting up a depot separate from the ESXi hosts.  Other articles mention to FTP the file to the host.   When I used the CLI, I was able to specify a reference to a file on my Windows computer to the vihostupdate command.  I see the stage command of the esxupdate tool.  I am not sure if that has to be an official depot, or if it can be a URL to a Windows shared folder.

2) Which tool should I use to perform the update?  We are planning on adding a third node towards the end of this year and putting ESXi 5.0 on it, then upgrading the other two nodes to ESX 5.  So, with that in mind, I'm trying to do some leg work now that will help for that upgrade.

It seems vCenter Update Manager would be the way to go.  Since our vCenter VM is acutally running on one of the VMs, I realize I would have to migrate it off of the node we are trying to upgrade.

VMWare has been working great for us.  We have been lax in upgrading it the past couple years so there's a learning curve to learn the tools.  I appreciate any guidance or references you can add to this.

- Paul -

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just my one cents,

Before you want to start upgrading your ESXi, you MUST upgrade your vCenter Server to the upper version or same version to your ESXi hosts if not you cannot managed thru the vCenter for latest ESXi.

For question 1, my answer, If you had diffuclt to use the CLI, you may upgrade from the CDROM installation, when it boot-up, it will ask for Fresh Install / Upgrade. This is most easily way to do it. Or else you may use the CLI which vihostupdate and had to set the depot.

For question 2, It best to recommend that don't mix-up your ESXi version in one single cluster if not may occur a issue in future, The best tools is depending on your which one you like to used, You may use either using CD upgrading (same as cd installation) or Update Manager, which Update manager you able to schedule on it, Since the vCenter is a VM, you need to migrate to non upgrading host before upgrading it.

it better you upgrade your vCenter directly to v5.0.1, it able to managed v5.0 below, and you able to put-in new node of ESXi v5.0 and upgrading it without need to upgrade the vCenter 2 times.

0 Kudos
pvestuto
Contributor
Contributor

When you say upgrade vCenter to 5.0.1, which component are you talking about?   Our vCenter node is a Windows VM.  We are runing vSphere Client, which is 4.1.0.   Are you simply saying we ought to upgrade the hosts from ESXi 4.1 directly to ESXi 5.0.1 and skip the ESX 4.1 Update 2?

We will go to v5..01 later and when we do, I assume we can have a mixed-version cluster while the upgrade is happening.  That is - add the new node at version 5, then migrate VMs to it from one of the other hosts to upgrade that host then repeat for the third host.  Seems we have to have a mixed-version cluster for some period of time.  Even if we add the third node after the other two hosts have been upgraded, we still have the issue when upgrading the two hosts.

The terminiology steps over itself sometimes.  ESXi, VMWare Server, vSphere, vCenter etc.  I want to make sure I am understanding your recomendation.

- Paul -

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When I'm saying to upgrade your vCenter Server to 5.0.1 is your Management Product (vCenter) not ESXi, Because if you using the same version of ESXi which 4.1 update 01 or xx. and then during that time you have new node which is ESXi 5.0 above, you not able to put-in or managed via vCenter Server, but again you must remember the vCenter Server requirement is 64 bit OS.

You may proceed for ESXi 4.1 to update 02, It doesnt have a issue, but the thing you need to see is your management server (vCenter Server) because if you are running vCenter 4.1 update 02 and you need to adding the ESXi host for version 5, it can't be managed.

Yes, It able to have mixed-cluster.

Let see example as below, hope that it can be clearly you on the process :-

I assume, Existing environment with 2x ESXi hosts version 4 and 1x vCenter VM (vCenter Server) v 4. So in here you need to upgrade to version 4 update 02 and during the time you also want to adding new ESXi host node which version 5.

1. Upgrading your vCenter Server to version 5 ( which able give you benefit that no need two times upgrading, to the version 5 and also able to managed version 5 and 4 node), If you upgrading to version 4 update 2, you are not able to managed version 5 ESXi host node.

2. Upgrade your vSphere Client

3. Migrate your VMs on host A to Host B

4. Upgrading your ESXi 4 to update 2 on host A (via CD installation or update manager)

5. Migrate your VMs on host B to host A.

6. Upgrading your ESXi 4 to update 2 on host B

7. Upgrade your VMware Tools

8. If you have additional ESXi host node 5, then you able to add to vCenter Server.

This is a simple process, which when you reach a time that you want to upgrade ESXi 4 to 5, you just focusing on upgrading the ESXi only which doesnt required you to upgrading the vCenter Server again.

This is the best practice process you need to perform first, vCenter Server --> Update Manager -->  ESXi Hosts --> VMware Tools. Dont start with ESXi Host first.

Hopefully that able to clear you.

0 Kudos
pvestuto
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I think I'm getting it.

1. Upgrading your vCenter Server to version 5 ( which able give you benefit that no need two times upgrading, to the version 5 and also able to managed version 5 and 4 node), If you upgrading to version 4 update 2, you are not able to managed version 5 ESXi host node.

Can this upgrade to vCenter Server be done while the cluster is active?  Or, do I need to shut down each VM, place the hosts into maintenance mode, etc.

If I upgrade all the way to v5, I understand it will allow me to manage my v4.1 cluster and will also be able to handle the addition and migration of v5 hosts.

2. Upgrade your vSphere Client

Sounds like the easiest step!  I assume I can upgrade to v5 and it will allow me to manage the VMs whether they are v4 or v5, correct?

3. Migrate your VMs on host A to Host B

Is this needed?  I am able to shut down the VMs while the upgrade happens.  So, can I simply shut down the VMs on the host that is to be upgraded, then restart the VMs once the host has been upgraded?

4. Upgrading your ESXi 4 to update 2 on host A (via CD installation or update manager)

I still have an issue with this as I need to better understand the process of loading Update Manager with the update to be loaded, and actually applying the update.  I will continue to read up on this.

5. Migrate your VMs on host B to host A.

6. Upgrading your ESXi 4 to update 2 on host B

7. Upgrade your VMware Tools

Is this in reference to each VM?   So, on each VM, perform the Install/Upgrade VMware Tools option from the Guest menu in vSphere Client?

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For no 1, Yes, you able to managed either v4 or v5. if you versioning is v5. It doesnt required your ESXi host to be down/maintenance mode or down your VMs.

For no 2,  Yes,correct.

For no 3, If you have a downtime, that doesnt need to do migrate, unless you want to minimize the downtime.

For no 4, Update Manager is required vCenter, which you able to perform patch that will downloaded from repository but your vcenter cannot be down. For me if only 1 or 2 hosts, better using the ESXi installation cd to be upgraded, more easily. (PUt-in cd, run it, then will have upgrade options).

For no 7, Yes, It referring to each VMs.

0 Kudos
pvestuto
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your explanations thus far. They have been helpful.

For no 4, Update Manager is required vCenter, which you able to perform patch that will downloaded from repository but your vCenter cannot be down. For me if only 1 or 2 hosts, better using the ESXi installation cd to be upgraded, more easily. (PUt-in cd, run it, then will have upgrade options).

If I understand what you said, Update Manager (part of vCenter) needs to up to the patch level that the ESXi version on the hosts is going to, or higher (V4.1 Update 2 or v5.0.1).  Using Update Manager I can download the patches from the VMWare repository off the web.   The vCenter VM must be available when doing the patch, so it needs to be migrated off the host to be upgraded.  This would be one way to go.

For some reason, you feel that only having 2 nodes it is better to use the CD.  How do I build this CD?  Does it have to have the Update 2 patch on it?  Or are you referring to the original CD/DVD that had ESXi 4.1 on it - and that it will have tools that can pull down the patch?

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, that right on the update manager, for CD, you just download from VMware website on Installable CD for update 2(ISO), it can be used for upgrading.

0 Kudos
CedricAnto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To provide a completely different perspective to this thread

I would suggest you review the below two features to address your queries or concerns in the long run

1-Host Profiles

2-Auto Deploy

Look at Insight into Auto Deploy that I have put together for a high level overview.

This may be a giant leap to manage lifecycle of your environment but this next gen stuff.

Caveats/Gotchas

1-You need PXE environment

2-Ensure hardware compatibility during upgrades

Cedric http://in.linkedin.com/in/cedricrajendran/ http://virtualknightz.com/
0 Kudos