VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update Manager Install

OK, I have tried this at least 5 different times, and its just not working.

I install UM from the ISO. It starts the install, I put the IP address of VC (vCenter 4.0) I set my DSN (it discovers it during install). I plug my values in for login, I tried a local account, I tried a Windows account, and I tried a SQL account, they ALL work fine. I can login to the database as SQL admin, another SQL Account I created, Windows account, Local account, Domain account, every account I can think of. I tried the install with ALL of them.

Each time I restart the machine. I tried installing UM as Local Windows user, and a domain user (with Administrative rights). I didn't have to do ANY of this with vCenter 2.5. It wasn't this difficult.

Now for some reason, I restart the serviice / machine. No matter what I do I keep getting an error that it can't find UM (it gives me the machine name) but it's there, the install doesn't complain it's not working, in fact install has worked perfect every single time. I can see the task for UM in the schedule task, so I know that part works, but whenever I enable the plug in it says there is a problem connecting to the UM database.

So where do I find the logs? Nothing shows up in Windows application logs except service restarted. I can't figure this out, everything else is working. This is a fresh install of Windows 2008 Server STD 64-bit. But this doesn't make any sense. I can't figure out where the error is coming from, is it in VC logs? I can't make heads or tails of this, since vCenter is working nothing else I am having problems with.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcustersp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cacois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you using SQL Server? If so, did you make sure that the DB user you are using for the update manager is set as a user for both the VIM-UMDB and VIM_VCDB databases individually, as well as for SQL server in general?

Logs can be found in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs". What is the exact error message you are getting?

rcustersp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update manager is not compatible with Windows Server 2008.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
rcustersp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just went through all of this. I installed vCenter 4.0 on a fresh Windows Server 2008 64 bit box and ended up having to put the Update Manager on a Windows 2003 Server. The database is just fine on the 2008 server, but the software will not work.

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That's completely false. I've got Update Manager 4.0 installed and running just dandy on Windows 2008 x64 (it's even a VM!). When you guys are setting up UM, are you telling it to use an IP or DNS name for the UM installation? I generally set it to use IP, just safer not to depend on DNS if I don't absolutely have to Smiley Happy

-Steve
0 Kudos
rcustersp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh my gosh. I never actually tried it, just went by the compatibility guide. Looks like I am moving Update Manager today. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I never actually tried it, just went by the compatibility guide. Looks like I am moving Update Manager today

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. That's the whole reason I started this thread. UM worked before now, but since I switched to Windows 2008, nothing works like it did before, including vCenter. It may be a combination of things, but if your UM is working, don't try to change it!

I am going to BACK to Windows 2003 64-bit, never had any problems (even though we were using 2003 32-bit with previous V products). Windows 2008 is still flaky in some areas, especially VM Ware products.

0 Kudos