VMware Cloud Community
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Manager False Positives?

I recently created a new vSphere environment and have been migrating ESX 3.5 hosts over to it.

I was using Update Manager to upgrade to vSphere 4 and also to apply Update 1.

Now all of a sudden when I deploy new blades WITHOUT Update 1 (using the same original DVD), Update Manager will scan the hosts and tell me that I have 100% compliance when I know for a fact that 5 blades do not have Update 1 applied.

I haven't made any changes to the baselines nor have I detached/reattached them.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Please refer the KB http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1016070&sl... ,

Because of the problem mentioned in the above KB, a new bulletin named "ESX 40Update 1a" ("ESX 40Update 1" bulletin is not available any more) has been released to upgrade to Update 01.

So run the patch downloaded task once again and recreate your baseline with "ESX 40Update 1a" bulletin and attach with servers or Cluster and do the scan operation, once the scan operation completes, base line shows as non-compliant.

Start the remediation once the scan is finished.

--Nithin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please post the output of vmware -l , vmware -v, esxupdate query and esxupdate.log files.

did you try by reconnecting the host to VC again, are you running HA/DRS in the system

--Nithin
0 Kudos
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The blades are in an HA/DRS cluster, but the same happens if I remove them.

Here are the outputs:

vmware -l

VMware ESX 4.0.0 GA

vmware -v

VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-164009

esxupdate query

Bulletin ID Installed Summary

0 Kudos
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Now from a blade that was upgraded in the past:

vmware -l

VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 1

vmware -v

VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-208167

esxupdate query

Bulleting ID -

Installed--- -

Summary--

ESX400-Update01 2010-01-22T13:13:08 VMware ESX 4.0 Complete Update 1

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Please refer the KB http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1016070&sl... ,

Because of the problem mentioned in the above KB, a new bulletin named "ESX 40Update 1a" ("ESX 40Update 1" bulletin is not available any more) has been released to upgrade to Update 01.

So run the patch downloaded task once again and recreate your baseline with "ESX 40Update 1a" bulletin and attach with servers or Cluster and do the scan operation, once the scan operation completes, base line shows as non-compliant.

Start the remediation once the scan is finished.

--Nithin
0 Kudos
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great! Now all my servers are non-compliant Smiley Happy

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos