VMware Cloud Community
rutgerblommah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update Manager 5.5 service crashing on Windows Server 2012 R2

Hello,

I'm trying to get VUM 5.5 1c working on a Windows Server 2012 R2, but without any luck.

Everything installs fine, setup finds the 32-bit DSN pointing to our SQL 2008 R2 server and database connectivity is working. However, as soon as I'm scanning an ESXi host for available updates the VMware vSphere Update Manager service crashes and a dmp file is created under C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs.

Just to be sure I installed VUM on another clean W2K12R2 server, but end up with the exact same problem. When I install the product on a Windows Server 2008 R2 it works fine.

According to the VMware compatibility matrix VUM 5.5 works with W2K12R2, but it doesn't for me.

I'm attaching the vmware-vum-server logfile which contains info about the service crash.

Best regards,

Rutger

//Rutger
Tags (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mlynka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I solved my problem after looking at log line complaining about missing path:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\host_upgrade_packages\esxi-upgrade-woosktebvs

I created this path and copied content of existing

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\host_upgrade_packages\esxi-upgrade-bbylallekd

to it (there were new files with date 2014/09/09)

VUM scan and remediate works for me now without VUM service crash.

HTH

Richard

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mlynka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

crashes for me too after update to 5.5 U2.

Best regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Rutger,

Please share few more information like BSOD screenshot, VM configuration and build number Esxi host.

0 Kudos
mlynka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I uninstalled VUM 5.5U2 and installed VUM 5.5U1, but VUM service crashes consistently after few seconds (when scanning or trying to remediate).

I am on W2KR12. VUM 5.5U1 worked few months ago on this server.

I suspect something "new" came with Windows updates or installation of vCenter 5.5U2.

VUM crash logs start with:

--> Panic: Assert Failed: "false" @ d:/build/ob/bora-2061929/bora/sysimage/integrity/lib/hostUpgradeCommon/productMgrImpl.cpp:395

--> Backtrace:

Best regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
mlynka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I solved my problem after looking at log line complaining about missing path:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\host_upgrade_packages\esxi-upgrade-woosktebvs

I created this path and copied content of existing

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\host_upgrade_packages\esxi-upgrade-bbylallekd

to it (there were new files with date 2014/09/09)

VUM scan and remediate works for me now without VUM service crash.

HTH

Richard

0 Kudos
rutgerblommah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can confirm this works for me too. Thanks for posting your solution here.

Cheers

Rutger

//Rutger
0 Kudos
FiZi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Had the exact same problem and fixed it the exact same way.

Our issue was on a 2008R2 server and I think was the result of us moving Update Manager to a different volume.

0 Kudos
Ashray
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Can someone tell me, which log do I need to check for the missing path error

0 Kudos
ssavant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would just like to add another possible solution to anyone else experiencing this in the future.

We got this error after doing a fresh install of our vCenter server 5.5 and Update Manager - the windows service just crashed after doing a scan of our hosts.

Logs said nothing about a missing path like the previous posters but after some research we found that the VUM itself had a host upgrade ISO-file in it that didn't exist on our newly installed server.

After deleting this baseline and uploading the ISO-file and re-attaching the baseline everything worked like a charm.

All the updates and configuration about them is located in the database, and as long as you don't start a new fresh database for Update Manager you might get issues like this.

Nicolas4949
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Big THX !

I have resolv the same probleme on my fresh reinstall 5.5 u3a.

Crash after a scan, with error on VUM log :

--> Panic: Assert Failed: "false" @ d:/build/ob/bora-2735933/bora/sysimage/integrity/lib/hostUpgradeCommon/productMgrImpl.cpp:395

I have delete all bases ligne and recreate a new.

It works !

THX

0 Kudos