VMware Cloud Community
chewatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update ESXi 4.x to ESXi 5 using Update Manager with VI Client instead of vCenter

QUESTION:  Do I have to have vCenter installed to run Update Manager 5 to upgrade an ESXi 4.x host to an ESXi 5 host ro can I use the VI Client and Update Manager?

SCENARIO:   I have a few ESXi 4.x hosts scattered around the US that are virtualized for ease in support but they're not large enough to warrant an HA environment.  They are running ESXi 4.x FREE (non licensed) version and therefor "NOT" controlled by vCenter.  Since vCenter isn't being used to manage the hosts, I use the VI Client to attach to my hosts remotely and perform OS maintenance etc. In all articles I've read it appears I must use vCenter to perform an in-place upgrade to ESXi 5.  Is there a way to perform the upgrade using the simple VI Client and Update Manager with my type of environment?  My next step is to overnight a 1 user KVM and an ESXI 5 CD to the client and do this by gaining access to the host's console but obviously I'd prefer a better way.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe VUM is a vCenter plugin.

May be you can perform a scripted upgrade and do not use the VMware Update Manager?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you reviewed the Upgrade guide - http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-501-upgrad...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

thread moved from VMware Knowledge Base Community to vSphere Upgrade & Install Community

0 Kudos