VMware Cloud Community
Omega42
Contributor
Contributor

Update 1 not listed in Update Manager

Hi !

Should the Vsphere Update 1 show up in UpdateManager ?

Has this been temporary withdrawn ?

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
19 Replies
JTT10
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm wondering this same thing. I'm sure that it was there few days ago, had to install my VUM from scratch and now there's no Update 1 for ESX anymore, for ESXi4 it still exists.

Would be nice to have an answer for this, now i have one esx updated to Update 1 and second one not updated...

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

I have just installed a new vSphere host and was also looking for update 1. Does anyone know what the version number is with update 1? Right now mine says 175625.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JTT10
Contributor
Contributor

Update 1 version is or at least should be 208167, so you dont have that installed.

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

Being new to vSphere (previous knowledge of 3.5) is there something special you need to do in Update Manager to get update 1 to show up? Or does this seem to be an issue with VMware as why it is not there?

0 Kudos
JTT10
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that VMware has removed Update 1 and few other patches for some reason (there's some major problems with HP Proliant servers), they just didn't bother to inform about that.

0 Kudos
dilidolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I read there was issue using VUM to update to U1. If you have 3rd party agent installed, using VUM to update may corrupt ESX. Vmware pulled off U1 in VUM and working on a fix.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Update 1 is still listed. It will show up as a Patch.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

Unless I am doing something wrong, I do not see it? I have 20 patches that have been installed. I have did a re-scan but same thing.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I just ran a scan against a test machine.

0 Kudos
JTT10
Contributor
Contributor

And that's only for ESXi as you can see, there's no patch for ESX

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The original post was not specific to ESX.

You can still download and install the update albeit at your own risk.

Login and download the update zip file.

Upgrade package from ESX Server 4.0 to ESX Server 4.0 Update 1

This package provides expert users with remote, headless upgrade capability from ESX Server 4.0 to ESX Server 4.0 Update 1. Use this package with esxupdate or vihostupdate.

WARNING: All 3rd party management agents must be disabled before performing an upgrade installation from ESX 4.0 GA to ESX 4.0 Update 1 with Update Manager. Refer to KB article 1016070 for more details .

0 Kudos
JTT10
Contributor
Contributor

Original post was not specific to ESX, but on second post i mentioned that there's patch for ESXi but not for ESX.

Still, with Update Manager, there's no way at this moment to patch vSphere 4 to Update 1 level. And that's what original post was about.

By downloading .zip file you can update to Update 1 from ESX's console.

0 Kudos
kautium
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned, VMware Update 1 is not available via VUM anymore because of critical problems that might happen when updating VMware on HP servers when there are HP System Insight Management Agents running on them. VMware recalled the patch and released a warning about the problem at vmware.com as soon as problem messages started appearing in different forums. The warning can actually be seen all over vmware website, so it is pretty hard to miss.

However, at the moment ESX 4.0 to ESX 4.0 Update 1 patch/upgrade is still available from VMware vSphere download site in form of ISO and ZIP files, which can be manually added to VUM Upgrade Baseline and installed even to HP servers as long as any 3rd party management agents are unloaded first.

There is also a VMware knowledgebase article about this mess.

I guess VMware is about to release a patched version of 4.0 Update 1 sometime in near future, but they also say that this version will do just fine as long as people remember to patch vCenter first and to unload HP agents on ESX hosts before upgraging them.

I have four ESX 4.0 hosts running on HP bl460 G6 blades waiting to be upgraded and I'm not sure should I proceed with this version or not? I have one open case to VMware about networking problems with Solaris10 VM and since they could not figure it out, they instructed to upgrade to 4.0 Update 1 and hope that it will sort out our problems.

0 Kudos
dventet
Contributor
Contributor

An excerpt from KB 1016070. See the two notes listed at the bottom.

Who is affected

Customers using VMware vSphere 4 upgrading to ESX 4.0 U1 with a supported version of HP Insight Management Agents running.

This affects any of the following upgrading scenarios:

• Upgrade using Update Manager

• Upgrade using esxupdate

• Upgrade using vSphere Host Update Utility

Note: ESXi is not affected.

Note: If you want to install the update, you must

download the update manually. The update is no longer available for

automatic download in Update Manager and the vSphere Update Utility.

You can find the update on the VMware Downloads site and copy the download to your local depot as needed.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101607...

0 Kudos
Omega42
Contributor
Contributor

Great to see, that the Entry was added long after pulling the Update. I studied the knowledgebase several times before posting.

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know how to remove the management agents from ESX completely? I looked at the readme documentation and could not find anything on how to do this. We have 3.5 and will update to 4.0 so I will need to remove them and add the ones for 4.0 anyway.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Installing the update will completely replace the current installation. The old COS is replaced with a new VM.

0 Kudos
ABQNM
Contributor
Contributor

TIA

OK -- please help me understand.

If I used update manager and ran all the patches (thinking that I was getting ready for the update (Dell PowerEdge R900s)) and am now at "ESX, 4.0.0, 208167", have I actually installed Update 1?

Do I need to run anything on the vCenter Server?

Do I need to run VMware-viclient-all-4.0.0-208111.exe on my workstation?

Sorry if these questions are too basic...I really have tried to figure out just what's going on using the support pages.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You should create a new post for your issue.

0 Kudos