VMware Cloud Community
Docent
Contributor
Contributor

Unsupported boot device layout - ESXi 3.5u4 upgrade fails

Hello,

I've been researching this problem and already read some discussions here (like ) but so far no luck Smiley Sad The problem is that I cannot upgrade my ESXi 3.5u4 hosts, the wizards stops after compatibility check with the following error: "The boot device layout on the host does not support upgrade.". What is interesting, I took my test server with slightly different hardware, clean-installed newest ESXi 3.5u4, then tried to do the upgrade and the same error appeared... On a clean machine with no VMs and an empty datastore.

Is it possible do to the in-place upgrade? It seems to me that it doesn't work regardless of configuration. What exactly does this error mean? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Regards,

Docent

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Wolfi3
Contributor
Contributor

I am receiving the exact same error message.

Read the following on http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_esxi40_vc40_rel_notes.html

• Dell servers shipped with ESX Server 3i Embedded 3.5 cannot be upgraded to ESXi 4.0 Embedded

When you attempt to upgrade a Dell server with ESX Server 3i
    Embedded 3.5 installed on an internal USB, the following error occurs
    during the upgrade:<code>* Unsupported boot disk. The boot device layout on the host will not support the upgrade.</code>* Workaround: If upgrading the Dell server with ESX Server 3i Embedded
    3.5 is not required immediately, delay the upgrade until a patch is
    available for ESXi 4.0 Embedded.

If upgrading the Dell server with ESX Server 3i Embedded 3.5 is
    required immediately, use the Dell factory recovery CD to flash the
    Dell server with ESXi 4.0.

Warning: This will remove all system configuration settings.

What i dont under stand though. Is that our Dell server did ship with the ESX server 3i embedded.

We downloaded it from the vmware website and installed it our self's.

Checked the compatibility and our server is listed as well.

When is a update going to be released?

0 Kudos
Docent
Contributor
Contributor

Of course I've already read the release notes, the problem is I don't have Dells...

0 Kudos
trufy
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

Same problem for me. Im on a unsupported Hardware, (ml 110 g5). On another server with same Hardware worked. I tried to repair, but it didnt help.

afaik the upgrade process copies the hole setup to the esxi drive. Could it be that there is not enough space on the Server? when i use the "unsupported" console and do an df -h i see a few partitions, but it says "file system unknown" for all partitions. There is one with 350MB free and another with 3GB free.Is there a Update Log somewhere with more information?

0 Kudos
Wolfi3
Contributor
Contributor

This is happening on our production server.

I currently have a support request open with VMware.

It's over a week and they say they might need to get the engineering guys to look at it.

I installed a test server, different hardware though and it upgraded with no problem.

I am currently thinking if this is maybe not related by the size of my partition.

Got a 2TB vmfs3 file system, 500GB free space on it though.

How about you guys?

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

There are several discussion of this problem (the most without a solution):

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Wolfi3
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstall? Uh.. No.. Where will i find space to dump 3.5TB of virtual hosts?

0 Kudos
Docent
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't find anything helpful. Ended up with a clean install, took me quite long to copy virtual machines and recreate the configuration for several hosts...

Regards,

Docent

0 Kudos
EDV-COMPAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thats the currently the only way to upgrade to esx4i if you have this problem,

i have opened an sr for this issue

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Docent
Contributor
Contributor

I'd be glad to hear back from you what the support tells you - just curious, I've already done the new installs.

Thanks,

Docent

0 Kudos
AndyHeywood
Contributor
Contributor

We are running 5 x Dell Poweredge 2950 III with ESXi 3.5u4 on embedded USB drives and I am hesistant to upgrade until this issue is resolved...

0 Kudos
Wolfi3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

The patch will be released with vsphere 4 u1.

The problem is that the vmfs partition is larger then it can handle.

They say the largest case they got is with a 1.5TB.

I sent details for a 925GB vmfs partition and wiating back to hear if this will also give problems upgrading.

If you have less then 500GB i think you wont receive this message or problem.

CT

0 Kudos
AndyHeywood
Contributor
Contributor

Our biggest vmfs partition is 450GB so I think I will give it a try on one of the hosts...

Will let you know how I get on!

Any idea on release date for vSphere update 1 ?

0 Kudos
Wolfi3
Contributor
Contributor

They didnt give a time frame yet.

Could be 3 months.

0 Kudos
EDV-COMPAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

That's wrong, the same problem with an 100GB vmfs filesystem...

0 Kudos
Wolfi3
Contributor
Contributor

Could you send me the output for the following commands.

vmkfstools -P /bootbank

Check the the last line looks like vmhba1:0:0:5

then run :

/sbin/partedUtil get /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1:0:0:0 (With two red numbers being the same.)

Then i can maybe send the engineer this information and ask why it will happen on a 100GB partition as well.

Are you using a usb stick to boot ESXi from?

CT

0 Kudos
EDV-COMPAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, see the attached screenshot.

i´m booting from local hard drives.

0 Kudos
Wolfi3
Contributor
Contributor

What is the output of :

/sbin/partedUtil get /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1:0:0:0

0 Kudos
EDV-COMPAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sbin # /sbin/partedUtil get /dev/disks/vml.020000000060030057003323a011afa8ab44bafa1a4d6567615241

Error: The partition table on /dev/disks/vml.020000000060030057003323a011afa8ab44bafa1a4d6567615241 is inconsistent. There are many reasons why this might be the case. However, the most likely reason is that Linux detected the BIOS geometry for /dev/disks/vml.020000000060030057003323a011afa8ab44bafa1a4d6567615241 incorrectly. GNU Parted suspects the real geometry should be 557952/64/32 (not 71128/255/63). You should check with your BIOS first, as this may not be correct. You can inform Linux by adding the parameter disks/vml.020000000060030057003323a011afa8ab44bafa1a4d6567615241=557952,64,32 to the command line. See the LILO or GRUB documentation for more information. If you think Parted's suggested geometry is correct, you may select Ignore to continue (and fix Linux later). Otherwise, select Cancel (and fix Linux and/or the BIOS now).

557952 64 32 1142685696

4 32 8191 4 128

1 8192 1535999 5 0

5 8224 106495 6 0

6 106528 204799 6 0

7 204832 430079 252 0

8 430112 1535999 6 0

2 1536000 1142685695 251 0

0 Kudos
neurosis89
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Same problem, someone have a solution to upgrade to ESXi4 without delete local vmfs partition ?

I'm running ESXi 3.5 U4 build 158869.

Thanks for reply.

0 Kudos