VMware Cloud Community
josh1
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to vmotion / migrate virtual machines after upgrade to vCenter

I've followed the instructions to upgrade vCenter Server and Client. Upon loading up the interface, I quickly found that I could not vmotion any machines. When I right click the virtual machine and click Migrate, and choose change host, the box says "The virtual machine must be powered off to perform this function". I've check licensing and my old VI3 is fully licensed still. I've tried disabling vmotion on the vmotion nic and then enabling it, but still doesnt work. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I ignore the above message and just ask to vmotion the machine anyway, it errors out with "Insufficient disk space on datastore <datastorename>."

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

here are a couple things worth checking out

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011296

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011294

0 Kudos
dcouturier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You want vmotion between 2 ESX 3 or between an ESX3 and vSphere4 ?

0 Kudos
josh1
Contributor
Contributor

I had a VI3 installation with ESX 3.5 Update 2, and started the upgrade to vSphere by upgrading my vCenter Server and Client. Now I have 3 ESX Servers, one is ESX 4.0, and the other two are ESX 3.5U2 (being managed by vCenter Server v4).

The previous two links have not fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
rt7500
Contributor
Contributor

What is the version of the source host?

What is the version of the target host?

Are you wanting to move from host1 to host2? Or are you wanting to move from host1 datastore1 to host2 datastore2?

0 Kudos
josh1
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned earlier, I have one ESX 4.0 host and 2 ESX 3.5U2 hosts. All three connect to the same iscsi storage. I'm getting the same results initiating a vmotion from all three hosts. I'm just trying to "Change Host".

0 Kudos
josh1
Contributor
Contributor

I should also add, that if I do shut down the guest OS, i can change hosts without a problem. I'd like to use the vmotion feature though.

0 Kudos
dcouturier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you configured a VMKernel for Vmotion ? Can you put a screenshot of your networking ?

0 Kudos