VMware Cloud Community
HallFS
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to update or upgrade hosts using VUM

Hi everyone!

I'm facing an issue that's happening with one of our customers and is preventing us to upgrade two HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen 9 hosts. We're currently running ESXi 6.5.0 Update 1 (5969303) and trying to upgrade to 6.7.0 U3 Update 3 (17167734) and the message presented from vSphere Update Manager was that it was unable to execute the upgrade scripts after getting stuck in 46%. I've downloaded the vua.log and esxupdate.log and I could only notice that in the PACKAGE_COMPLIANCE section it gives the error result. I was unable to find out what is the package causing the issue. I've also tried to move the files out of the directory state.XXXXXXX under /bootbank and /altbootbank as indicated in this KB (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2007163) . I had this issue with other customer before and following this KB solved the issue, but this time, I wasn't even able to find the directory because it doesn't exist.

I suggested to the customer that we could try to apply the patches to the host before trying to upgrade again, because I've also faced cases of successful upgrades after aplying patches to the hosts, but even the patches aren't being applied and the VUM returned the following message after getting stuck in 0% during the inntallation proccess: "The host returns esxupdate error codes: -1. Check the Uptade Manager log files and esxupdate log files for more details".

Tomorrow he'll ask the HQ that is based in Germany to open a case to VMware Support, since the entire company shares the same vCenter Server (Running 6.7.0 build 18831049) and everything is managed from the HQ. I'm attaching the logs (one collected after trying to upgrade and the other after trying to apply updates) and I really appreciate if someone has any clue of what's happening here.

Thanks in andvance and appreciate your collaboration!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you what exactly is causing the issue, but a possible workaround would be to upgrade the host using an offline bundle.

Example using the latest HPE Offline bundle (replace the .zip file with the version you want/need):

esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/Datastore01/VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-Update3-19195723-HPE-Gen9plus-670.U3.10.9.0.8-Apr2022-depot.zip
esxcli software profile install -d /vmfs/volumes/Datastore01/VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-Update3-19195723-HPE-Gen9plus-670.U3.10.9.0.8-Apr2022-depot.zip -p <profilename> --ok-to-remove
reboot

Note: The "install" option will remove all previous packages, that are not included in the current profile anymore, i.e. do some house keeping.

André

0 Kudos