VMware Cloud Community
pta2
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to set password during ESXi 7 installation

while installing ESXi 7.0  I kept getting password do not match after setting my root password. I  have tried different password but it still did not take. What can I do or can anybody suggest a good password that meet the requirement ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Comment branched from an old thread about a forgotten root password to a new thread in the vSphere Upgrade & Install area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jonastro
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

If you are getting password do not match, most probably you need to check if you are typing from iLO or DRAC type console and if the keyboard layout is set to english.

Most of the time it will be a typo error or the keyboard repeat rate is too high that it types two characters instead of one.

For password requirement, review the following:

• ESXi enforces password requirements for access from the Direct Console User Interface, the ESXi Shell, SSH, or the VMware Host Client.
  • By default, you have to include a mix of characters from four character classes: lowercase letters, uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters such as underscore or dash when you create a password.
  • By default, password length is more than 7 and less than 40.Passwords cannot contain a dictionary word or part of a dictionary word.

Regards,

Jonathan

VMware Cloud Foundation
BlackMoonWolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wonder if you're having the same issue that I am right now. (Which is how Google ended up leading me here.)

I'm trying to do a fresh install of ESXi 7.x on an R630. There is some kind of disconnect or bug between the input device and the text fields where you set the password. When you type it, the text appears as asterisks. (Naturally.)

The problem is... The number of characters showing up as you type the password is NOT the same as the number of key strikes that you make. The responsiveness of the password fields is extremely sluggish and it either misses the key strikes or it's 'double tapping' the key you press.

I tested one key. A quick, single key press. The result, after waiting 2-3 seconds, is frequently two asterisks in the field or no output at all.

95% of the time it's a double tap. You hit your key and you see one asterisk appear, the cursor disappears for a moment...and a second asterisk appears. The cursor then reappears and flashes. I hit the BACKSPACE key once to delete the second output. But even being methodical - tedious as it is - does not seem to yield the same password in both fields.

I've just spent the last several minutes trying to set the password but I can't get the input/output to synchronize or behave. This is INCREDIBLY infuriating.

Tested using both iDRAC KVM (HTML5) and keyboard at the server itself. It makes no difference.

Something is wrong here... This feels like a bug.

0 Kudos
BlackMoonWolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is further complicated by the fact that the BACKSPACE key also double taps, by the way. Realizing this, I toyed with it by pressing the character I want TWICE. This sometimes results in three asterisks instead of two. I then pressed BACKSPACE - once - to delete the last two (of three) asterisks.

But it's NOT CONSISTENT. So you REALLY have to pay attention to how many outputs actually occur with each key press. Sometimes it's only one. Most of the time it's two. You can tell when it's going to be two when the asterisk appears and the cursor does not become immediately visible again.

With that in mind... I finally manipulated it in a way that made it work. This feels like some kind of buffer issue with the input. (For lack of better words.)

I learned the timing of the input and output. I made my key press and waited for the second asterisk to appear. In between the time where the asterisk appears and the cursor becomes visible again, I pressed the BACKSPACE key to erase the second character. This finally seemed to erase only ONE asterisk instead of two.

This really [removed by moderator] me off. It took me 10 minutes to enter the password - in both fields. But I finally managed it.

ESXi 7.0.0 (Build 16324942) (DELL ISO)

0 Kudos