VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unable to perform inline upgrade from ESX 4.1 into ESXi 5.1u1b through iLO

Hi People,

Can anyone please assist me here with the ESX 4.1 inline upgrade into ESXi 5.1u1b on the local disk?

I have downloaded the VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0.update01-1065491.x86_64.iso to be loaded through HP iLO interface v2 (HP DL 380 G6) but it always end up with

iso linux disk error 80, AX = 42F0, drive 9F ?

The .iso file is not corrupted as I have verified from the 7-zip CRC test.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
Tags (1)
7 Replies
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When upgrading an older system, the first thing to look at is firmware, particularly whether the iLO firmware is up to date.

Have you got the VT bit enabled in the BIOS? It's off by default on the G6 but you'll need it for ESXi 5.1.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Josh, this server has already got ESX 4.1u1 installed, so the VT enabled is already on.

0 Kudos
Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Evening,

iso linux disk error 80, AX = 42F0, drive 9F ?

is a Linux bad read issue.  The CRC may check out but the ISO may be bad at the source.  I suggest redownloading the file to an alternate hard drive.  Also make sure it's not on a removable usb type device.   Otherwise it should work.  The ISO is really only used during the initial loading of ESXi installer then it's all memory so something is getting copied bad.

Try re-download

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

Did you check the md5sum or sha1sum of the ISO with respect to value provided in download site?.

CD/ISO upgrade is always easy and safe method. Did you try by uploading the ISO to update manager and upgrade.

Also is this ISO used for any other installation or upgrade.

--Nithin
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well this is the error when I insert / mount the ISO file through the iLO console v2.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I just installed a bunch of G6 hosts this week through iLO and everything worked fine. Where do you have the .iso file stored (local disk or network share)?

Although this may not be the cause of this issue, check the iLO version (current iLO version is 2.15) and consider a host firmware upgrade.

André

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Andre,

The ISO was in my local desktop drive, I guess this is due to the flaky network connection or old firmware.

So in this case I'll try to upgrade the firmware as per your suggestion and hopefully it should be fine from then.

0 Kudos