VMware Cloud Community
knecoli22
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install vSphere on Dell M610 Blade

Quick Synopsis:

• Cannot install vSphere when Qlogic 2572 HBA Mezzanine card is installed

• Install is smooth if the card is removed,howeverthe server will not boot the new vSphere installation with the HBA inserted.

• ESX 3.5 U4 installs and runs correctlywith the HBA installed

I am a relative newbie to the VM world and have encountered the above problem. This is my first post in the communities and I realize I have probably left something out.

If you have any ideas or could use some additional information please let me know.

The hardware is a Dell M610 Blade and I have traced the problem to the Qlogic 2572 HBA mezzanine card.

This took some doing as Dell had me replace almost every component in the server before opting to send me an entirely new server only 1 week after receiving the initial one.

The problem is that the vSphere installer hangs at 14%. At this stage it is attempting to create partitions on the Dell virtual drive (2 SAS drives running in Raid 1).

The Qlogix 2572 HBA is on VMWare's HCL, and Dell agrees it should work, but their agreeing that there shouldn't be a problem has not made my problem disappear.

VMWare has a Dell M610 w/the same HBA and says the install is fine on their unit. However it fails every time on mine. I have checked BIOS and firmware levels to ensure they are up to date and even match VMWare's test server.

I am able to install and run ESX 3.5 U4 w/no problem.

I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting - we have identical blades and identical software and dont have this issue either.

When you QL card is installed - is it connect to the SAN? Does it have link? Is it zoned and can it see a target and a LUN? I've found that sometimes ESX will get annoyed if it has a card with link that cant see any targets.....

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
knecoli22
Contributor
Contributor

Matt

Thanks for the look.

is it connect to the SAN? Connected but did not have any mappings or assigned luns

Does it have link? Yes

Is it zoned? Yes

and can it see a target and a LUN? No assigned luns

I've found that sometimes ESX will get annoyed if it has a card with link that cant see any targets.....

I took your advice and created a small SAN Volume and attached it to the ESX Host. In the Installer I am now able to view the small SAN Volume that I assigned to the Host. I am still opting installing to local disk and I am hanging at the same place.

I''ve attached a screenshot of where the install hangs.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you access /var/log/weasel.log by hitting ctl-alt-F2. Actually, for that matter, can you access any of the virtual terminals?

0 Kudos