VMware Cloud Community
staticRavi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to connect to ESX host from VSphere client

Hi All,

Please help, in my laptop I have installed two VMs setup. VM1- ESX Vsphere 4 installed on a Linux 64 bit base and Vcenter server in Win 2003 OS Image. I am trying to connect to ESX through VSphere client and I am getting error message "A connection failure occurred (Unable to connect to remote server)".

I am able to ping from VM2 to VM1 and able to login in to ESX using the login credentials. But fails when trying to login from Vsphere client.

Please advice on what could be causing this issue. Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to login to the ESX host directly utilizing the vSphere client? Is the virtual center service up and running?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

TheFlyingCorpse
Contributor
Contributor

Download putty to VM2 and try to open a SSH session to VM1.

ALso, it might be IP conflicts with what you have set up, how have you set up the network for your virtual machines? Closed, NAT or bridged?

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Port 443 should be available, check your firewall.

Try "telnet ESX 443"

---

MCSA, MCTS Hyper-V, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
cdc1
Expert
Expert

Open up a remote desktop session (or a console session in the vsphere client while logging in directly to the host) to the VM running your vcenter server instance. Then, either turn off the windows firewall, or refer to the vcenter server installation steps in the vsphere documentation and selectively open the ports that are listed in the docs.

Also, check the windows event log while you're logged into that vm, and verify that all of the necessary vcenter server services have started successfully. If they didn't, just go and start them.

If none of that works, shoot a reply back here with the results of your attempts when you get a chance please.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
staticRavi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the suggestions, this issue was related to Vcenter service not starting and port being blocked. Also resource were low and could t continue my testing.

0 Kudos