VMware Cloud Community
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

Ugrade of vcenter to 4.1 - licence server needed?

Hi there,

I am just in the process of upgrading (and moving) our vcenter installation from v4.0 to 4.1.  As part of this i am moving the installation to a new server.

I have just come across the notes in the upgrade manual relating to the licence server.  On my original vcenter VM there is a licence server windows service.  The user guide talks about copying the licence file and installing the service on the new VM.  I've had a look on the vmware site but cannot see the download for the licence server.

Is this still needed on my new VM?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

The  Vmware license server installs as part of the Virtual Center  Installation.  If you missed as part of your Virtual Center installation  just run the installer again and you should have the option to install  the license server again.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

I've just run the installer again but all it gives me is options to 'join vcenter server instance to existing linked mode group or another instance'

0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

Just reading on the net that the licence server isnt required to run v4.0 on 3.x hosts.  We are due to phase out our one 3.5 host this week so do we need to worry about getting the licence server up and running?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

that is linked mode. if you do not have any ESX3 host you can choose to ignore license server as there are meant for version 3 host only.

0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to go ahead and upgrade our only 3.5 host tomorrow so we will no longer be needing the licence server.

Thanks for your help everyone

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

no Probs foxy - good luck!

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos