VMware Cloud Community
chrtaut
Contributor
Contributor

Ugrade/Migration vCenter 6.0 U3 to vCenter 6.5 U1 with external PSC fails

Hello to everyone from Germany,

i have a Customer with the following environment.

1x Windows vCenter 6.0 U3 with one external PSC Appliance 6.0 (No windows PSC)

The Customer want to mirgrate/upgrade to the following configuration.

1x vCenter 6.5 U1 Appliance with external PSC 6.5 Appliance

I get the following error when starting the the vCenter Migration Assitant on the Windows vCenter 6.0 U3

pastedImage_1.png

After this warning I wanted to Upgrade the PSC 6.0 Appliance via Gui to PSC 6.5 Appliance.

This also fails with this Message.

pastedImage_2.png

This error is described in the KB

Upgrading vCenter Server Appliance from 6.0 to 6.5 results in an error: "Unable to detect appliance ...

The root PW is not expired.

Anyone an Idea to solve this?

My plan for tomorrow:

Deploy a new PSC 6.5 and connect/register it with the actual vCenter 6.0 Windows Server.

After this, starting the vCenter Migration Assistant and the Migration/Upgrade via GUI.

Hopefully it will work.

Kind regards

Christian

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Did you try to change the password and disable expiry date as described in the KB?

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
chrtaut
Contributor
Contributor

of Course.

The Root PW was not expired.

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Did you ever find out that cause for this error?  I have encountered the same problem going from 6.0 U3e to 6.5 U1g.  These builds were released on the same day, so I wouldn't think it would be a "back in time" conflict. 

None of my appliance root passwords are expired or set to expire.

Thanks

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

I also tried upgrading to 6.5U2c, and got the same error.  Definitely not a "back in time" issue, then.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos