VMware Cloud Community
JUrenaG
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to install Vcenter Single Sign On and error 1722 popped up

I just installed a brand new ESXi 5.5

I am trying to install the vSphere Web Client but as a prerequisite I need to install vCenter Single Sign-On. Whenever I  try to install the vCenter Single Sign-On I got a message right after it starts installing saying: There is a problem with  this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish ass expected. Contact your support personnel or packages vendor. After that, the vim-sso-msi log popped up and when I look for the error messages, I found this one:

MSI (c) (E0:60) [10:21:32:551]: Doing action: VM_InstallTCServer

Action 10:21:32: VM_InstallTCServer. Installing VMware TCServer...

Action start 10:21:32: VM_InstallTCServer.

CustomAction VM_InstallTCServer returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

MSI (c) (E0:60) [10:21:39:126]: Note: 1: 1722 2: VM_InstallTCServer 3: E:\ 4: D:\Single Sign-On\prerequisites\VMware-tcserver.exe /s /v/qn

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action VM_InstallTCServer, location: E:\, command: D:\Single Sign-On\prerequisites\VMware-tcserver.exe /s /v/qn

MSI (c) (E0:60) [10:23:41:110]: Product: vCenter Single Sign-On -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action VM_InstallTCServer, location: E:\, command: D:\Single Sign-On\prerequisites\VMware-tcserver.exe /s /v/qn

I am trying to install it on a Windows 8 machine. I have tried in different machines, but the same error message showed up.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

12 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This issue occurs when the system is pending a reboot from Windows Updates or another application installation.

Try rebooting the machine and installing. I'm not sure if windows 8 supports SSO. Any particular reason for doing this? Why not put it on a server OS?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
JUrenaG
Contributor
Contributor

I already rebooted my computer several times.

What I am actually trying is to use the vsphere web client, but as a pre-requisite it asked me to install vCenter SSO.

What would it be the right procedure? I do not have a vCenter Server since I am just using a single ESXi 5.5

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You will not be able to manage a single host using vSphere web client. You will be able to use it only with vCenter. So there is no requirement for you to install web client(and also SSO). Please use vSphere client for all your activities.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
smartapa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm seeing the same behaviour as JUrenaG, I'm also after getting the vSphere web client but failing with same error when installing SSO. From what I understand the web client is required in order to make use of the vFlash feature?

0 Kudos
MichalKaro
Contributor
Contributor

Run this installation manual from your dvd-drive:

\Single Sign-On\prerequisites\VMware-tcserver.exe

in manual (instead of silent) it will tell you about installation problems

in my case it was a compressed drive on server (C:\program files\common files\vmware)

0 Kudos
wuench
Contributor
Contributor

Don't even bother.  I am trying the same thing on Win7Pro.  The latter components (Inventory and vCenter Server) require Win 2008 Server or later.  It is likely that you are trying to install on Windows 8 that is the issue, but the developers at VMWare aren't capable of telling you that in a proper error message.

khanduala
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For 5.5, You need Windows server 2008 SP1 or 2008 R2 onwards.

Windows 8 is not supported platform.

0 Kudos
UsmanZA
Contributor
Contributor

Jurenag,

I had the same problem on windows server 2008R2 but was able to solve it by running the Single Sign-On Setup from the command line as administrator.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
VRBitman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Only 64bit, Server versions of operating systems are supported, as described in VMware KB #1003882.

See here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100388...

You can review all your options here:

VMware Compatibility Guide: Guest/Host Search

Also see this official documentation page and make sure your systems meets all requirements:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.install.doc%2FGUID-67C4D2A0-...

If your machine meets all requirements, I would also check the integrity of the installer with the hash. (VMware provides a hash for each download).

If necessary, redownload the package.

I hope this helps and report back if you still have issues.

-- VR Bitman | http://virtualis.info | vSphere 5.5 Guide: http://goo.gl/QUqTH7 VMware professional, virtualization & FOSS evangelist, informatician, geek VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCP-DCV
0 Kudos
nwperfguy
Contributor
Contributor

So it means that you have to have at least Windows Server 2008SP1 if you would like to mange your ESXi servers from Linux using the web client?

0 Kudos
heckmamr
Contributor
Contributor

For what it's worth, I was receiving this same error when installing on Windows 2012 R2. I was running the simple install from files I extracted from the ISO. I tried mounting the ISO instead and running the install from there. That worked.

0 Kudos
diyaoda
Contributor
Contributor

very simple

first you have to run prerequisites from DVD run \Single Sign-On\prerequisites\

then go to install wizard

enjoy

0 Kudos