VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tools upgrade after vm move from 3.5 to 4.1

We are in the process of moving vm's from a 3.5 cluster to a 4.1 cluster(AMD to Intel) so we do cold migration.

We are leaving the existing tools on and staying on vm version 4 in case we need to go back.

We don't seem to be seeing any performance impact on this---will we be ok running like that for a month?

When we are satisified things are ok we plan on moving the vm version to 7 and switching to vmxnet3.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That should not be a problem - but once you are satisfied upgrade as the drivers in the new VMware Tools are better performing -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I Am curious too, I have Tids that say to move from Flexible to Vmxnet3 after the upgrade to v7 that you delete the nic and re-add.

I found, in sles linux anyway, that simply editing the vmx file to add vmxnet3 will work fine and keep your mac address too.

0 Kudos