VMware Cloud Community
TaFfin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Time span vSphere upgrade

Good day,

I was wondering if the upgrade from ESX3.5 to vSphere has a time span?

I know the steps to take to make the upgrade succesfull, but can I, for instance, wait a day after every step?

I want to upgrade to vCenter and ESX4.0, but than want to wait 2 day's before I upgrade my VM's.

Is this adviceable / supported?

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Yes, and the length of it will largely depend on the size of your environment, the components involved and the amount of testing you want (or are required) to do.

I know the steps to take to make the upgrade succesfull, but can I, for instance, wait a day after every step?

I want to upgrade to vCenter and ESX4.0, but than want to wait 2 day's before I upgrade my VM's.

If a day or two days is enough time for your testing and verification processes to happen after each step, then the answer is yes. Some actions, like backups, may need to run longer or be tested prior to the normal scheduled time(s). It is really about verifying the results of each step of the upgrade as it pertains to your environment, and that will ultimately take the amount of time it takes. An upgrade for a shop with 100 hosts will certainly have a very different timeline than a shop with 2 hosts would have. As is almost always the case with virtualization, these things are rather difficult to generalize.

Developing a solid upgrade plan that includes testing scenarios for your specific environment is the best approach moving forward. It is definitely wise to do the upgrade in steps, but the time spent between these steps is somewhat irrelevant if you aren't using it for testing or verification of the upgrade.

Good Luck with the upgrade!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rcustersp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is absolutely acceptable. We upgraded to vCenter 4.0, waited about 2 weeks and then upgraded one of our 3 hosts to ESX 4.0. We then waited another 2 days before upgrading the other 2 hosts. Now we will upgrade the vmware tools and vm hardware in stages. Go for it!

AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I started with one ESX 3.5, moved all guests away and used the Update Manager from the already upgraded vCenter to perform the upgrade. The actual upgrade took 15 - 20 Minutes.

Then I moves some test server to this machine and tried all functions like VMotion, sVMotion, etc., etc. After I was convinced that ESX 4 works in general, I did the next one.

At the end it took me about 14 day's to migrate all (6) servers, always with a few days in between.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Yes, and the length of it will largely depend on the size of your environment, the components involved and the amount of testing you want (or are required) to do.

If a day or two days is enough time for your testing and verification processes to happen after each step, then the answer is yes. Some actions, like backups, may need to run longer or be tested prior to the normal scheduled time(s). It is really about verifying the results of each step of the upgrade as it pertains to your environment, and that will ultimately take the amount of time it takes. An upgrade for a shop with 100 hosts will certainly have a very different timeline than a shop with 2 hosts would have. As is almost always the case with virtualization, these things are rather difficult to generalize.

Developing a solid upgrade plan that includes testing scenarios for your specific environment is the best approach moving forward. It is definitely wise to do the upgrade in steps, but the time spent between these steps is somewhat irrelevant if you aren't using it for testing or verification of the upgrade.

Good Luck with the upgrade!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
goud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can someone Please share the Plan you have gone through for this upgrade ?

Kindly suggest me that which approach would be best?

1)Move the VMs out of Hosts and upgrade the servers from 3.5 to 4.0

2)Move the VMs out of Hosts and do clean install of 4.0 ESX

Siva

Siva Palanisamy
0 Kudos