VMware Cloud Community
jftwp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Time of upgrade relative to SQL Server database size?

How long does the upgrade sequence of vCenter (from 4.1 U2 which ours is) to 5.1 U1 take where any needed database changes/modifications are concerned, relative to SIZE of the database?

Or put another way, how long will my vCenter take to upgrade, all else being equal, if it was a 10GB database instead of a 30GB database?

We will be ugrading our vCenters next week, and the one that's 30GB represents the largest size.

I could test this separately, but I thought some might have an idea as to how size of existing database affects the length of the upgrade itself. Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
killeroo100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I can't really answer the datebase size against time question but happy to relay my experience. Our vCenter DB is around 30Gb and when we upgraded the vCenter portion (if I remember correctly) it was reasonably quick. I think it was about 15 mins. The longest part was the SSO install section at the start. I think the whole upgrade was around an hour. We did the upgrade at the weekend so time wasn't an issue for us

We were upgrading a MS 2008 SQL database hosted on a separate dedicated DB server.

The only real recommendation I would have is make sure you fully understand SSO and how you want to implement it into your environment.

Hope that helps.

jftwp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks killeroo.  SSO was the first thing we figured out, at least for our environment, and that piece is already installed along with the Inventory/Web Client servers we're going to deploy in the architecture. It was a pain to figure out in the lab to the point where we're comfortable with it, but it's good now.

We worked with our DBA to clean up some of the performance statistics tables and shrink the databases, so now our largest database (of 4 vCenters) is 'merely' 25GB (was 57 before the clean up).  Our larger databases MIGHT have grown as big as they did due to rollup jobs that handle performance related data not running correctly, so we're looking into the health of that as well, per the following 2 articles, so we'll see if we can't make things more healthy where all of that is concerned over the next couple days.  Meanwhile, thanks for the vote of confidence regarding your 30GB database and upgrade time.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/documentLinkInt.do?micrositeID=&popup=true&languageId=&externalID=1...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200738...

0 Kudos