VMware Cloud Community
FoxtrotOff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Testing lab troubles

Hi guys

i am experiencing some real issues trying to get a testing lab setup to study for my VCP.

I completed my VCP550 course at the beginning of 2015 but due to some issues with my health i was unable to go onto the exam and get it done.

I am now in a position to start working on getting my VCP again. However i am having some serious problems getting anywhere.

I have attempted to setup the following lab twice:

2 ESXi hosts

1 vCenter virtual appliance

1 SAN - OpenFiler

1 Router/DNS/DHCP - ClearOS

1 lab PC (Windows 7)

Host setup:

8 NICs seperated across 4 networks:

2 Management (VMNIC 0 + 1)

2 Storage (VMNIC 2 + 3)

2 Vmotion (VMNIC 4 + 5)

2 User traffic (VMNIC 6 + 7)

The first attempt was done using VMware workstation 12 pro on my workstation - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (hex core)/16gb RAM

I was able to get vcenter, hosts and storage all working perfectly. However vMotion would not migrate powered on VMs. Offline VM's would error at 14% complaining saying the hosts could not communicate over the network. I connected to each host and attempted to VMKPing the other, but could get no reply whatsoever.

After a few recreations of the lab, i gave up thinking there was an issue with my PC i wasn';t aware of. I moved to creating the lab on my production network at work. This is the same setup for the lab itself, however the spec of the host it is running on is Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2/256gb RAM

This time around i am unable to get any connection over the storage network. I have seperated the networks into virtual networks but there appears to be no traffic on that network, i can ping across the management network without any issue, but pings from the SAN to the hosts and vice verse show no connectivity at all

This is knocking my confidence in myself to get my VCP, i am the sole VMware engineer on our site and i was feeling confident about my skills but due to these issues i am quite worried im doing something wrong and causing these issues myself.

Anyway, any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
akarydas2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you tried to change the the Promiscuous Mode of your storage network to Accept?

I used to had this type of issues when I was virtualising in lab the storage.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
akarydas2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you tried to change the the Promiscuous Mode of your storage network to Accept?

I used to had this type of issues when I was virtualising in lab the storage.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
mordi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you share the switch configuration? are you using vSS or vDS?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Mordi Shushan http://vpentathlon.com @mordi_s
0 Kudos
FoxtrotOff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My gosh i cant beleive i didn't think of setting this myself...

Setting promiscuous mode on the storage network fixed the issue and i am now able to see the storage on my host, thanks!

0 Kudos