VMware Cloud Community
iguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tasks hanging in vCenter 4.0U1

In an effort to migrate to vCenter 4.x from VirtualCenter 2.5 I did the following:

1) Disconnected all Hosts in VirtualCenter 2.5 system

2) Powered off VirtualCenter 2.5 system

3) Copied the VC25 database to a new 64bit SQL Server system

4) Installed vCenter 4.0 U1 on a new app server and pointed it to the new 64bit SQL Server instance.

5) Updated the database and did all that with no issues.

6) Removed all the Hosts that I didn't want managed by vCenter 4.0 U1 from the vCenter system and did likewise for the VirtualCenter 2.5. All hosts are in one or the other systems, not both.

Everything appears to be working just fine from the surface. After several hours of running the vCenter 4.0U1 system started to have tasks that DRS would start or would be started manually that would never finish or be acted upon. Example: Migrate virtual machine was initiated by the system (DRS) at 2pm today. I found it at 8pm today still sitting there waiting to start or finish or do something. Example2: Pushed the "Power On" on a VM that was moved to a new LUN and it is "In Progress" by System for the past 30 mins. I finally started it manually from the service console.

If I stop and restart the vCenter service, the tasks are cleared and if I reinitated them they take off immediately. I have no option to cancel the hung task from the vSphere client at all.

Anyone else see this or have any suggestions on what is going on? Where might I look to see why its hanging or cancel these manually without restarting vCenter?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Your ESX are still 3.5?

In this case what's the license server that their are pointing?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
iguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The new vCenter 4.0 is pointing to the original VirtualCenter system for the 3.5 licenses. That is working fine.

0 Kudos
iguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tasks would hang because the SQL Server instance that had the vCenter Database was configured with 8G of RAM and a memory reservation limit of 6G. The 2G would get swapped to disk and performance would completely tank. Tasks would timeout and get hung and never get cleaned up or finished due to the timeouts. I changed the memory reservation to be equal to the amount of RAM and no problems since then.

0 Kudos