VMware Cloud Community
sfvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Supported MB for ESX 4-

Basic question - I have a supermicro MB and did not find anything in a knowledgebase search - PDSML-LN2+ - I also have a 3Ware raid card (although why it was ordered I am not sure since the MB has radi on board). I have been trying to find a link for the supported MB's for ESX 4.0 - would appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not sure you will find a list of supported hardware outside of enterprise systems. The first place to check would be the Hardware Compatibility Guide.

It doesn't list motherboards specificaly. Off the top of my head, I would say it is probably not supported, but I don't have expereince with hardware outside of the HP server lines. If you can't find the correct information, just try the install, worst case it doesn't work.

If you are trying to set this up for testing, you could load windows or linux and install ESX/ESXi in VMware Server 2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not sure you will find a list of supported hardware outside of enterprise systems. The first place to check would be the Hardware Compatibility Guide.

It doesn't list motherboards specificaly. Off the top of my head, I would say it is probably not supported, but I don't have expereince with hardware outside of the HP server lines. If you can't find the correct information, just try the install, worst case it doesn't work.

If you are trying to set this up for testing, you could load windows or linux and install ESX/ESXi in VMware Server 2.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think this will support ESXi 4 at least not for 64bit OS support. It may support ESXi 3.5. The built in RAID controller is a software raid device and unsupported under ESXi. You could have a lok at http://vm-help.com to see if there is any install history with this MB.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator