VMware Cloud Community
CCKKMikeMeier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Standard vs Essentials

Dear all,

I have been searching for hours now and can't really find a clear answer.

The Edition comparison does show some promising data but still doesn't answer all the questions.

What is vSphere 7 | Server Virtualization Software | VMware

Info:

We have 2x Dell R730xd Servers with identical specs which (according to VMWare's page) are supported by the new ESXi 7.0U3. 

Since we are (still) a small business with 10 ppl, we can't justify buying the high end solutions, yet we need the system to have a failover solution. I was thinking about the Essentials Plus, which has HA as well as vMotion and can be managed via vCenter.
BUT the Edition Comparison page shows, that vSphere Standard also supports those functions but for much less costs.

Could somebody please share a light on the version difference and maybe which to buy?

I highly appreciate any response.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
Vmware vSphere Essentials and Vmware vSphere Essentials plus are kits i.e. they each include 6 VMware vSphere Essentials licenses for 3 Host servers (with 2 CPUs each) and one VMware vCenter Server Essentials license.

One VMware vCenter Server Essentials can only manage up to 3 Vmware vSphere Essentials hosts.

A Vmware vSphere Standard license is for a Host with 1 CPU, with certain features. If you need to manage it you need another license for the VMware vCenter Server Standard.

More information about VMware vSphere and VMware vCenter Server licenses and their different Kits in the following link:
https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
Vmware vSphere Essentials and Vmware vSphere Essentials plus are kits i.e. they each include 6 VMware vSphere Essentials licenses for 3 Host servers (with 2 CPUs each) and one VMware vCenter Server Essentials license.

One VMware vCenter Server Essentials can only manage up to 3 Vmware vSphere Essentials hosts.

A Vmware vSphere Standard license is for a Host with 1 CPU, with certain features. If you need to manage it you need another license for the VMware vCenter Server Standard.

More information about VMware vSphere and VMware vCenter Server licenses and their different Kits in the following link:
https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
CCKKMikeMeier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Enrique,

I totally missed the per CPU license, which in my case would then make more sense to buy the Essentials Plus, as I do need HA and vMotion as mentioned before.

Thank you for the prompt reply!

0 Kudos
Pacific-Bowl1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are very happy with the purchase of Essentials Plus. It has been amazing for our small business (Bowling Alley). The only anger of the lic is the need to run LACP. To run LACP requires vDS. To run vDS requires a lic which does not come with Essentials Plus (Seems like a miss).

I guess I am begging VMware to provide for SMB (Small Guys) to get the same uptime as the big guys without having to pay an arm and a leg. Would be amazing if you could include vDS so we can get the benefits of LACP for our 3 esxi machines or something in Essentials Plus to provide us the ability to LACP. 

0 Kudos