VMware Cloud Community
dougvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Single NIC with 5 IPs

Hi guys,

I am new to ESXI 5.5 and have a question. My server has a single NIC and I have been given 5 IPs by my service provider. I want to run 4 VMs on my server. I want one of the IPs to be assigned to the hypervisor, and the other 4 IPs to be assigned each to a host.

Is this possible with a single NIC, if so, can someone guide me in the right direction on how to accomplish?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless your service provider restricts the number of MAC addresses on the same switch port (your uplink port), there's nothing special you need to do. Just assign an IP address to the host as well as to each of the virtual machines. That's about it.

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless your service provider restricts the number of MAC addresses on the same switch port (your uplink port), there's nothing special you need to do. Just assign an IP address to the host as well as to each of the virtual machines. That's about it.

André

DavidPasek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are these 5 IP addresses public? Are you sure you want have ESX management IP address from the same IP subnet as VMs? Do you want to have your ESX host accessible over internet? I don't think it is good idea and I would suggest you to re-think and re-plan your design.

-- The devil is in the detail.
0 Kudos
dougvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, all public. But I really don't have much of a choice. The service provider will double my colocation rate to add a firewall. I think with good passwords, I should be fine (in theory).

0 Kudos
DavidPasek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I assume you have just single ESX host. Of course you have other choice. Service provider physical switch can be interconnected with vmware vSwitch. You will leverage VLAN (802.1Q) segmentation. In vSwitch you can create portgroup for you virtual router/firewall/vpn in VM. for example PFsense or vyatta. You can do network segmentation at least like that. Production VMs can be protected by virtual firewall and can be behind NAT. The question is where will be ESX management. It can have public IP (in the same segment as your virtual router) and be protected by ESX firewall. However better would be to ask provider for two VLANs. One VLAN with your 5 IP addresses and other VLAN non routed or with limited access from internet.  your management vmkernel interface should be placed in to non routed VLAN. Inside your virtual infrastructure you will have one VM with access into management portgroup so you can connect to you management over VPN and manage your ESX host.

I Know this is advanced networking but security aspect wouldn't be overlooked.

My $0.02.

0 Kudos
DavidPasek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BTW: I think non routed VLAN is not needed for single ESX deployment. So you don't need to ask provider for anything and it is doable with infrastructure you already have.

0 Kudos