VMware Cloud Community
Peter_Channing
Contributor
Contributor

Should be an easy upgrade question...

I have a quick upgrade question...according to the vSphere Upgrade pdf document (table 4.1) it states that an in place upgrade from 4.1.x is supported but an in place upgrade from 4.1 is not.

My vSphere client shows 4.1.0 so is that the same as 4.1.x or 4.1....

thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you should be good to go for the upgrade.

the 4.1.x means any thing from 4.1.0 - 4.1.9

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Peter_Channing
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response Sparrow.

Thats what I figured, but wanted a second opinion.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Peter_Channing
Contributor
Contributor

So here is another updating vCenter question...

As part of our upgrade path we want to move the vCenter SQL database from the default SQL Express installation to a full version of SQL. I have found the following kb article with instrauctions for this migration, http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102860..., however, my question is regarding step 10. We are going from 4.1.0 to 5.1, can we at Step 10 install vCenter 5.1 or will the database only work after restoring into SQL Server if we re-install 4.1.0 and then do the upgrade to 5.1?

Hopefully I have explained the circumstances correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

0 Kudos
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would recommend you either complete the upgrade to 5.1 BEFORE migrating your dabatase, or migrate your database on 4.1 and then upgrade. I often found it best not to mix too many variables when doing critical processes like this. Now I suppose that if you simply install the new version at step 10, it will probably recognize the old database metadata and offer to upgrade it for you, but like I said, why risk it? You will only add maybe 30 minutes to the entire process by doing the upgrade seperately from the migration.

Keep it simple.

Ed

0 Kudos