VMware Cloud Community
Labcoat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shared datastore vs multiple local datastores and DNS in 5.1

I'm reading page 56 of the the vSphere ESXi vCenter Server 5.1 Upgrade Guide

It discusses the issue of DNS load balancing and vCenter Server Datastore Naming.

I believe it is discussing the issue of shared storage and multiple VMware hosts accessing a same-datastore, and that each host should name it the same, due to how 5.1 no longer resolves DNS names to IP, but now uses the DNS name for the datastore.

I do not have shared storage.  All of my datastore (3 now on 3 hosts) are local.  I am assuming I in no way need to name all of my local data stores the same.  Correct?

Here is the direct text from page 56:

DNS Load Balancing Solutions and vCenter Server Datastore Naming

vCenter Server 5.x uses different internal identifiers for datastores than earlier versions of vCenter Server. This

change affects the way that you add shared NFS datastores to hosts and can affect upgrades to vCenter Server

5.x.

vCenter Server versions before version 5.0 convert datastore host names to IP addresses. For example, if you

mount an NFS datastore by the name \\nfs-datastore\folder, pre-5.0 vCenter Server versions convert the name

nfs-datastore to an IP address like 10.23.121.25 before storing it. The original nfs-datastore name is lost.

This conversion of host names to IP addresses causes a problem when DNS load balancing solutions are used

with vCenter Server. DNS load balancing solutions themselves replicate data and appear as a single logical

datastore. The load balancing happens during the datastore host name-to-IP conversion by resolving the

datastore host name to different IP addresses, depending on the load. This load balancing happens outside

vCenter Server and is implemented by the DNS server. In vCenter Server versions before version 5.0, features

like vMotion do not work with such DNS load balancing solutions because the load balancing causes one

logical datastore to appear as several datastores. vCenter Server fails to perform vMotion because it cannot

recognize that what it sees as multiple datastores are actually a single logical datastore that is shared between

two hosts.

To solve this problem, vCenter Server versions 5.0 and later do not convert datastore names to IP addresses

when you add datastores. This enables vCenter Server to recognize a shared datastore, but only if you add the

datastore to each host by the same datastore name. For example, vCenter Server does not recognize a datastore

as shared between hosts in the following cases.

--The datastore is added by IP address to host1 and by hostname to host2.

--The datastore is added by hostname to host1, and by hostname.vmware.com to host2.

For vCenter Server to recognize a datastore as shared, you must add the datastore by the same name to every

host.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are correct - the section relates to NFS shared storage - with Load Balancing the same NFS server can be reached by multiple IP addresses - in older versions of vCenter the NFS server name would get converted to IP which could be different which then would cause problems with vMotion and other vCenter optons - with vCenter 5.1 the NFS hostname is mainteined -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are correct - the section relates to NFS shared storage - with Load Balancing the same NFS server can be reached by multiple IP addresses - in older versions of vCenter the NFS server name would get converted to IP which could be different which then would cause problems with vMotion and other vCenter optons - with vCenter 5.1 the NFS hostname is mainteined -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos