VMware Cloud Community
masselwagen
Contributor
Contributor

Setup cannot create vCenter Server Directory Services instance

during upgrade from VC 3 to VC 4 i've got error message (see attach pic 1), after click on 'Yes' second message appear and then install process rollbackin'

what's wrong?

log's file don't make things clear

[2009-05-22 09:35:03] INFO JoinTool started

[2009-05-22 09:35:03] INFO Storage directory for LDAP instance: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\VMwareVCMSDS

[2009-05-22 09:35:03] INFO Operation Mode: initialize

[2009-05-22 09:35:03] SEVERE Failed to load certificate: : Failed to load certificate

[2009-05-22 09:35:03] SEVERE Execution error.

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 --- CA exec: VMAdamInvokeJoinTool

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 Jointool command: ["C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\jointool.jar" init --statusFile "C:\DOCUME~1\a-mic\LOCALS~1\Temp\2\status.txt" --recoverIfPossible --name VIM01.domain.com --vimURL https://VIM01.domain.com:443/sdk --webServiceURL https://VIM01.domain.com:8443/vws --ldapPort 389 --dsn "VMware VirtualCenter" --dbUser "" --dbPassword "***********"]

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 Deleting

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 Did not find file/directory: ""

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 Already removed:

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 Deleting C:\DOCUME1\a-mic\LOCALS1\Temp\2\status.txt

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 Found "C:\DOCUME1\a-mic\LOCALS1\Temp\2\status.txt"

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 Deleted file C:\DOCUME1\a-mic\LOCALS1\Temp\2\status.txt

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:33 Found "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\jre\bin\javaw.exe"

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:38 Process returned 255

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:38 status.txt file size: 161

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:38 linked mode operation failed with error [255]. Join Mode = [init] Join Error ID = [28038]

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:12:38 Posting user message 28042

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:35:03 MsiProcessMessage returned: 6

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:35:03 PerformJoinOperation() -- HandleJoinToolResults returned <1603>

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:35:03 Found "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\jre\bin\javaw.exe"

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:35:03 Process returned 255

VMware VirtualCenter-build-162856: 05/22/09 09:35:03 Jointool invoked with --force option

-----------------

Failed to load certificate:

com.vmware.vim.common.ssl.CertificateLoadException: Failed to load certificate

-----------------

Execution error.

0 Kudos
56 Replies
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running Windows Server 2008 x64 Datacenter Edition SP1 with a remote SQL Server 2005 database.

Disabled ipv6 on my LAN interface.

Any suggestions?

René Bos

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
0 Kudos
jonb157
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, I may have just found the solution to the problem...at least for me. Check out this KB Article...1010938

I'm trying the solution right now and then will try the upgrade again.

0 Kudos
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is great! This solution just fixed my problem installing vCenter Server!

Thanks alot jonb Smiley Happy

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
0 Kudos
jonb157
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right on, worked for me too!

0 Kudos
mtnbiker5
Contributor
Contributor

No Luck here - I added the Network Service implicitly to the root of C: as well as adding it to the users group on the server.

0 Kudos
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Bah, too bad this doesn't work for your issue. Have you tried this solution on a new (virtual) machine OS installation?

And what OS are you using for vCenter Server?

I'm sure we can help out some way Smiley Happy

René Bos

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which OS are you using?

Can you make sure if there is any VMware ADAM instance leftover from previous uninstallation.

-R

0 Kudos
mtnbiker5
Contributor
Contributor

silly question - how would I know if there is anything left over from a previous ADAM install?

0 Kudos
vancod
Contributor
Contributor

nevermind - stupid user error - was pointing to the wrong DNS

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi mtnbiker5;

The problem is that your VMwareVCMSDS service did

not start after creation, or you have trouble connecting on the LDAP port specified

during install (Do you have a firewall configuration that somehow

blocks local loopback ports?)

Let's diagnose that further. I presume you are using Windows 2003.

If you have any logs in C:\Windows\Debug\adam*, please zip them up and upload them someplace.

The rollback action on install failure might have removed those logs as well - If you cannot find them, try the following to make sure that those logs are generated and not removed by the VC installer:

-

Create a dummy VMwareVCMSDS instance manually as follows

Control Panel -&gt; Add/Remove programs -&gt; Remove

ADAM instance VMwareVCMSDS (if it already exists)

Start-&gt;Programs-&gt;ADAM-&gt;Create a new instance

Screen 1:

Choose "A unqique instance"

Screen 2: Enter instance name as

"VMwareVCMSDS" needs to be exactly that

Screen 3:

LDAP Port: Same as the one you chose during VC install (default is 389)

SSL Port: Same as the one you chose during VC install (default is

636)

Screen 4: Create an application data partition for the following partition: "dc=virtualcenter,dc=vmware,dc=int"

Screen 5: For both of the fields "Data

files" and "Data recovery files", set the location as C:\Program

Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\VMwareVCMSDS (essentially &lt;VC-install-dir&gt;\VMwareVCMSDS).

Screen 6: Leave option as "Network Service"

Screen 7: Leave option as "Current logged

on user"

Screen 8: Leave option as "Do not import LDIF files..."

-

Once thats done and the instance install completes, verify if the VMwareVCMSDS service comes up (Look at Service manager (services.msc)).

If the service refuses to startup, you should definitely be able to find

logs in the above mentioned directory which would yield more debug info

for us.

If the service is running, run "netstat -a -b" from the command and dump the output of that for the '[http://dsamain.exe|http://dsamain.exe]' process here, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i too am having the same issue and tried your steps below and the problem has not been solved yet.

Any other ideas....

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Make sure that NETWORK SERVICE has read privileges on the root of the vCenter install drive.

If you try the above steps, that should generate the log files I indicated under &lt;drive&gt;/Windows/Debug - those might help us debug this better.

Jayesh

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you for your response. i tried that and it still doesn't work.

i opened a case with vmware and they worked on it. as of now they have no solution... crap !

0 Kudos
CsNoc
Contributor
Contributor

I initialy had a different problem, but after resolving some permissions in the registry I also came to this problem.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/216544

I noticed that the service wouldn't start (or it would, but it was stoppen instantly). Couldn't figure out why.

Then I started the setup again.. waited for the installer to get to the point where it was installing VMWareVMSDS, and then went into the services.msc applet. Changed the logon credentials to a user (in my case the admin account of the server, not the most perfect account, but it was essential for the installation to finish), gave the service the start command, and voila.. it would start and the installation finished succesfully.

Hope this helps a bit..

(stil going to try to run the service as the netwerk user, but for now at least I can manage my servers again)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We attempt an install of VMwareVCMSDS (an ADAM instance) with the service running as the Network Service account.

Take a look at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781059(WS.10).asp - that might help figure out what's amiss with the Network Service credentials on your machine.

0 Kudos
mtnbiker5
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got the install to finish - it turned out that I didn't have the full ADAM role installed on Server 2008, once I installed it - the install went through fine.

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can you tell me the steps you took to solve the issue ?

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I created a user , put him in local administrator group, created the VMwareVCMSDS instance to run as that user

still it failed. if you get this to work, please post a step-by-step. Have a call into support and doesn't seem that they are sure what is going on,.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting - we actually don't install ADAM on Win 2008 I believe - are you talking about the ADLDS role?

Please clarify, if you can. Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How exactly did you create VMwareVCMSDS instance to run as that user? Did you do the custom ADAM test install steps listed earlier?

0 Kudos