VMware Cloud Community
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scripted ESXi installation

Dear guys,

i'm trying to script the ESXi 4.1 installation but i have luck until now.

I'm setting the following command after "vmkboot.gz" and before "--- vmkernel.gz"  as described here http://blogs.vmware.com/esxi/2011/02/scripted-install-with-esxi.html

the command is the following : ks=nfs://10.4.61.230:/vol/v_gr98/q_gr98/install/ks.cfg (full tested path to my NFS share)

and my ks.cfg file contains the following :

vmaccepteula
rootpw cluster
autopart --firstdisk --overwritevmfs
install cdrom
network --bootproto=static --device=vmnic0 --ip=192.168.1.41 --gateway=192.168.1.1 --nameserver=192.168.1.20 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --hostname=dfi.vmware.com --addvmportgroup=0

so as you can see it is very simple.

What i do not understand it is why i'm having always the error :"did not get an ip from a DHCP server"

Even if it is pretty clear i do not want a DHCP address....

Please help

thx in advance

Daniele

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

check if helps http://communities.vmware.com/thread/300818

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi actually i tried this already but i'm not PXE, i have a local disk and i want to boot from an ISO

i have the ks.cfg on a normal nfs share

is it possible there is no a way out ?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i´m not expert with scripting, but i´m trying help . check http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/09/automating-esxi-41-kickstart-tips.html

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

already tried this also :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

lol, just curious, do you have a etherchannel configured in you switch core with uplink in this Host ?

0 Kudos
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes it is the same config other hosts attached to this network

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you checked this information ?

" Hi,
i'm usual to add also
vim-cmd /hostsvc/net/vswitch_setpolicy  --nicteaming-policy='loadbalance_srcid' vSwitch0 or the proper teaming  policy for your network configuration"

srcid = Port Id

this works in your enviroment ?

or you use other policy ?

0 Kudos
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi , i have checked this also but if someone wants to keep the file simple i do not see this as a big deal..

0 Kudos