VMware Cloud Community
tkrn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SSO Trying to upgrade the wrong database?!

I am going from vCenter 5.1b to 5.1U1a. During the first step of the upgrade, trying to upgrade the SSO instance it looks like it cannot connect to the SSO database because it's incorrect in the jdbc connection string. See bold lettering.

The installation log, vm-sso-javalib.log:

[2013-07-19 13:45:59,427] INFO     0[main] - com.vmware.vim.installer.core.logging.CoreLoggerImpl.info(?:?) - Checking Database connection

[2013-07-19 13:45:59,427] INFO     0[main] - com.vmware.vim.installer.core.logging.CoreLoggerImpl.info(?:?) - DB information jdbcUrl:jdbc:sqlserver://;serverName=CGSQLC-08R2;instanceName=S08R2;databaseName=VSSO type: Mssql userName:vssoduser

[2013-07-19 13:45:59,427] INFO     0[main] - com.vmware.vim.installer.core.logging.CoreLoggerImpl.info(?:?) - DB information jdbcUrl:jdbc:sqlserver://;serverName=CGSQLC-08R2;instanceName=S08R2;databaseName=VSSO type: Mssql userName:vssoduser

[2013-07-19 13:46:28,942]ERROR 29515[main] - com.vmware.vim.installer.core.logging.CoreLoggerImpl.error(?:?) - Failed to established connection :com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Cannot open database "VSSO" requested by the login. The login failed.

Here is my jndi.properties file:

com.rsa.ssl.ca.alias=root-ca

com.rsa.db.type=MSSQL

com.rsa.db.domain=

com.rsa.db.instance=VSSOD

com.rsa.appserver.port=7444

com.rsa.ssl.ca.store.path=C\:\\Program Files\\VMware\\Infrastructure\\SSOServer\\root-ca.jks

com.rsa.db.msserverinstance=S08R2

com.rsa.db.hostname=CGSQLC-08R2

com.rsa.appserver.hostname=CGVCL1

java.naming.provider.url=https\://CGVCL1\:7444/ims/CommandServer

com.rsa.instanceName=CGVCL1

com.rsa.db.port=0

com.rsa.appserver.protocol=https

Here is my config.properties file:

## Jdbc Url

db.url=jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://;serverName=;instance=S08R2;databaseName=VSSOD;trustservercertificate=true

db.user=vssoduser

db.pass=SECRET    

db.type=Mssql

db.host=CGSQLC-08R2

What am I missing here? Why is it trying for VSSO and not VSSOD? The default database for the the MSSQL user is set to default to VSSOD, in addition.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tkrn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured out my issue. Before this, I migrated the database between hosts and between that, it went from a non-dynamic port SQL instance to a named dynamic port SQL instance. The following registry keys were not available for a proper look to occur to reflect the named dynamic port SQL instance.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Infrastructure\SSOServer]

"MSSQL Instance"="S08R2"

"Used Static Port"=""

"DatabasePort"=""

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tkrn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured out my issue. Before this, I migrated the database between hosts and between that, it went from a non-dynamic port SQL instance to a named dynamic port SQL instance. The following registry keys were not available for a proper look to occur to reflect the named dynamic port SQL instance.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Infrastructure\SSOServer]

"MSSQL Instance"="S08R2"

"Used Static Port"=""

"DatabasePort"=""

0 Kudos