VMware Cloud Community
mightywombat
Contributor
Contributor

Registration for ESXi trial download not working

Hi, all. I am trying to download the trial for vSphere 7. I am logged in to the VMware site, and the product download page tells me I am not registered for the product and is asking me to register to download. 

2022-10-08 17_41_52-Download VMware vSphere Hypervisor for Free.png

I am able to go through the registration process, but when I come to the very last step and click the button to "Start free trial" the page just spins and make no further progress. 

2022-10-08 17_32_43-Registration _ VMware Customer Connect.png

 I have checked my settings to ensure that vmware.com isn't blocked from making redirects and pop-ups, have cleared my browsing data and cookies, and have tried other browsers and am now completely out of ideas. I'm on Windows 10, using a fully up to date Chrome browser. 

Other articles regarding similar issues for other people suggested trying without signing in but that doesn't appear to be possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

--Ed

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

1. Try another Browser.. use Edge because youre on Windows
  2. Try later

There are countless of those reports about issues when register/download the free version

Regards,
Joerg

maksym007
Expert
Expert

Are you downloading that ISO first time? 

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

HI @mightywombat 

Had the same issue a few weeks ago with Edge (also in Privacy Mode). Firefox worked for me.

Regards

Daniel

mightywombat
Contributor
Contributor

The odd thing I'm noticing is that the menu bar at the top of the page has a "Log in" option, even though I'm signed in to the Customer Connect portal on another tab, and the floating section to the right which would say "I have an account" if I wasn't logged in has my name and a "Log out" option as though I was both logged in and not logged in at the same time. 

I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, all also attempted in private browsing mode. I tried for several hours last night, and again just now this morning, and still nothing. And yes, downloading for the first time. I guess I'll just have to keep trying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Thank for the suggestions.

--Ed

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Vmware and other software manufacturers have problems with browser versions and their interaction with antivirus and operating systems. Browsers change their versions very frequently and this sometimes makes it difficult for web pages to work correctly.

I suggest you try Waterfox Classic, or Waterfox. I use them to support VMware vSphere and have almost no problems.

Another option is to try from another PC.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
mightywombat
Contributor
Contributor

Just to be clear, I'm trying to download the .ISO for the vSphere 7 trial, not manage anything through the web interface.

I have tried Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox, Edge, and Brave and I am getting the same behavior out of each of them. I even tried IE, but it's not supported by the VMware site. Oddly, if I put my full ZIP+4 code in for my address, in some browsers it greys out the page and spins briefly, then the grey overlay disappears but the page hasn't changed. There's no errors, it just tries and then fails and goes nowhere. I checked "View My Evaluations" just in case it had granted it to me in the background for some reason, but no dice. I've tried private browsing in all these browsers; have cleared my cookies; changed, flushed, and registered my DNS settings, made sure that pop-ups and redirects are allowed from the site... I really am stumped.

2022-10-09 23_03_57-Greenshot.png

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@scott28ttCan you help here?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@stadi13 

Other than suggesting using a private/incognito browser window and trying again, I have nothing else to offer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
I am using Waterfox G5, click on the link: https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi7

I registered and got the free license and the access to download the ISO.

e_espinel_1-1665416716152.png

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
mightywombat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Enrique. It's so strange, but I just tried using Waterfox G5.0.1, copied and pasted the link you provided, signed in, attempted to register, and got the same exact problem as before. I will keep trying and hoping for success. Maybe I'll break out Burpsuite and see if I can figure out where it's failing. 

Thanks again,

Ed

0 Kudos
mightywombat
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe this has something to do with it? Though when I click up there to log in it just takes me back to the homepage as a logged in user. 

2022-10-10 22_42_06-Download VMware vSphere 7.0 Evaluation - Free Managed Virtualization for 60 Days.png

0 Kudos