VMware Cloud Community
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Reason for staging patches for ESXi?

When using the Update Manager tool I can select to "stage" patches at a ESXi host, which I belive is to copy the relevant patches to the host prior to installation, but is there any difference in doing this or doing both copying and install at the same time?

Is there any different downtime for the host compared to these two options?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you remediate is when the host needs to go into maintenance mode, not during the staging process

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Ricnob,

If your host is on a remote site with a low bandwidth connection and you choose Installation without Staging first, file transfer will take some time and you don't know when your host will reboot. Downtime duration will be the same in both cases. The only difference is that, choosing Staging and then Installation, you know when the host will reboot (in case it is needed).

Regards

Franck

rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thanks. There is no difference in when the host has to be put into maintanance mode?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you remediate is when the host needs to go into maintenance mode, not during the staging process

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Troy Clavell wrote:

Thanks, so the advantage is just to do a more predicatable maintaince mode when I know that all patches are already downloaded to the host?

0 Kudos