VMware Cloud Community
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Re-install VMware ESXi free version

Hi Everyone

This is probably is really stupid question, we have a spare Dell sever and it has free version of ESXi installed on it... can I re-install the free version and gain another 60days trail with it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI everyone

finally manage to re-install the ESXi, down loaded GParted live disc and deleted the ESXi volumes and reinstalled ESXi again..... there must be an easer way to do this, can't believe the ESXi installer does not have an option to format HDDs drives and reinstall from scratch again..  surely I am missing something here I.e. Once someone has installed ESXi, there's no easy way for someone else to come along and Reinstall the software to get access to the full features for 60 days....   Seems crazy  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can reinstall the host and you can enjoy the features in trial version of hypervisor.

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi JD

Think I screw-up, re-install the ESXi but the old VMs are still there and 60 trail has expired, do i need to re-format the drive or something?

thanks for your help...

0 Kudos
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

You would need to take a backup of a VM's or migrate the VM's to storage , disconnect the storage and format the local disk.

You would need to clean install the host to get the trail version again.

0 Kudos
AnthonyM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are two things here.

1) The "Free Version" vSphere Hypervisor is not time limited.

2) The "Free Trial" is giving you access to the features of the full product for a limited time *on top of the free version*.

If you want those features back, you should pay. Or you can get the 60 day trial back by completely wiping the machine and doing a re-install from there.

The fact the VMs are still there implies you didn't do a full wipe.

0 Kudos
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi AnthonyM

How do you do a full wipe out the existing ESXi on the hdds, is there an option with the ESXi install to format the drives? 

Thanks for helping...

0 Kudos
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Everyone

Is there a tool you can use within the ESXi installer to format the hdds, so i can re-install ESXi and start another 60 day free trail.....

0 Kudos
mathan2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

When you are installation time it will ask for installation drive details that time you will format and re-create the disk and install the ESXi OS.

S. Mathana Gopal.
0 Kudos
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Alternatively you can also format the disks in the RAID BIOS.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You said that this is spare server, so the question is whether you use any of the advanced features which require a paid license!?

If none of the features are used (and I think this is most likely the case), register for the free Hypervisor edition at  Download VMware vSphere Hypervisor for Free, and enter the license key you get there in the current ESXi host (for the steps to do this read the "Licensing a standalone ESXi host" section at VMware KB: Licensing ESXi 5.x and vCenter Server 5.x). No need to reinstall ESXi nor downtime required.

André

0 Kudos
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI everyone

finally manage to re-install the ESXi, down loaded GParted live disc and deleted the ESXi volumes and reinstalled ESXi again..... there must be an easer way to do this, can't believe the ESXi installer does not have an option to format HDDs drives and reinstall from scratch again..  surely I am missing something here I.e. Once someone has installed ESXi, there's no easy way for someone else to come along and Reinstall the software to get access to the full features for 60 days....   Seems crazy  

0 Kudos