VMware Cloud Community
tabath
Contributor
Contributor

Rdm config option greyed out

Hi

I have an HP Proliant N40L . 8 gb Ram, first HD is 320gb and second 2tb. I have installed Vsphere on the first HD and set up a datastore on it as well on which at the moment I have FreeNAS. I am new to both VMs and freeNAS so this is a steep learning curve for me. From what I have read on freeNAS I think I need to create or setup the second HD as an RDM device fro freeNAS to store data however when I try to do this in the configuration panel the option is grayed out. Vsphere sees the second Hard Drive, any hints on where I can go for help on this problem. I have read some threads from 2009 on this but as Vmware has changed so much? and I am a comparative noob they don't seem applicable to solving this on  my setup. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

RDM's are only supported with shared storage LUNs, not on direct attached storage. For a test environment you may take a look at e.g. http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/SATA_RDMs.php to see whether this helps.

André

0 Kudos
tabath
Contributor
Contributor

Finally sorted it, Esxi on a usb, VMs on first hard drive.

Used PuTTy to ssh into server to create a file on first HD giving raw access to 2nd HD , jobs a good un.

0 Kudos