VMware Cloud Community
twashburn
Contributor
Contributor

Quick question about doing a test upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0

Here's my situation:

We're going from vSphere 4.1 update 2 to vSphere 5.1.

I'm in the process of testing and documenting different stages.

Because the vcenter installation and vcenter database is not going to be on the same server when I'm done as when I started, I will have to upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0 during the transition from the original server to the new one.

The new server is going to be a Windows Server 2012 box, the database installation is going to be SQL 2012 (yes I will be halting my upgrade path until they release a vcenter package for 5.1 that is supported on Windows Server 2012).

I'm at a point on the server which will be the production server where I want to be able to do a test upgrade/install of vCenter using the restored database which is still running live on the original production database, and I wanted to be able to roll back in testing.  So, I built a virtual machine running the same operating system and configuration as the new physical production server so, I can do snapshots in between steps.

Here's my question:

If I do an upgrade/install of vCenter 5.0 on the VM which has a restored copy of the database running, is it going to touch the original hosts at all if I chose "Manual" at the upgrade vCenter Agent of the installation process.

Thanks,

Tim W

0 Kudos
1 Reply
twashburn
Contributor
Contributor

I decided it was safer to just disconnect the NIC on the test VM.

I couldn't bring myself to risk it even if someone came back with an answer that said that was how it works.

Hell, I still can't bring myself to leave my HBA's connected when I build up an ESX host.....

0 Kudos