VMware Cloud Community
nicolaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question about prep for migrating to VCenter appliance using migration tool

I want to use the VCS to VCVA converter to migrate my vCenter 5.5 U3 off windows to the linux appliance. I have checked all of the requirements and my environment is ok except for SSO. I am running 2 vCenter servers, one test and one production. They are both connected to the same SSO instance running on a separate server.

The converter requires that SSO be running on the same server as vCenter. I would like to try this on my test vCenter to document the steps before moving production, but I'm not entirely sure of the sequence of the steps. There is so much disparate information out there on the subject.

So has anyone done this before?

I am thinking I have to:

Install SSO on my test vCenter server.

Un-Register my test vCenter server from the old standalone SSO and re-register it to the new SSO just installed.

Then at this point I have my test environment in the correct configuration for using the fling to migrate it to linux appliance and once done I could do the same on production vCenter.

These steps sound simple enough but I'm not sure how to go about them. Would I have to unregister test vCenter from old SSO first?

My thinking is that I'm going to run into problems when I try to install SSO when vCenter is already registered. Will I have to bring vCenter down before doing this?

All of these servers are virtual machines running on my production vCenter server by the way, and all are at 5.5 U3.

Any clarification and or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies