VMware Cloud Community
Isgren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question about database update for Vsphere 4.1 to 5.1

Hi ,

We are about to update our vsphere 4.1 environment to 5.1. I have a question regarding the upgrade of the vcenter server. Today we have the SQL 2005 Express database installed and from what i understand when i run the installation i will be promted to install 2008 r2 express or use existing database. I guess i choose the install new 2008 r2 express database ? this will keep my inventory DB and just install the new SSO DB and the tables ?

i read that you have to run som SQL queries aswell from the installation CD but is that only if you choose existing database?

hope you understand Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you do a fresh install of 51u1/5.1, then the DB that gets installed is 2k8R2 express.. However on upgrade from 4.x versions the 2k5 db is retained.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you talking about the bundled SQL Express DB that comes with VC? If so, this will not be upgraded to 2k8R2, you will still be on 2k5. If this is an external DB, then you may need to first migrate your database to 2k8r2 and then point the installer to this DB.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
Isgren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am talking about the bundled one, so when i upgrade to vcenter server 5.1 it will not upgrade the DB to 2008 r2 express? from what i can see on the matrix only Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express (R2 SP1) - 64-bit is supported. I guess when i start the installation it will know i already have a vcenter installed on this machine and it will perform an upgrade of the system and install the 2008 r2 express over the 2005 and i can choose to keep existing DB or create a new one?

/Stefan

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No it will not upgrade the Db to 2k8R2. However the VC will get upgraded and running on the older DB.

If you really want to get your DB upgraded.. try upgrading to 5.1.b  build and then upgrade again to 5.1 U1a. This will also upgrade the DB to 2k8R2.

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos
Isgren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm i am abit puzzled now , from what i can see on the matrix when selecting either the 5.1u1 or 5.1 sql express 2005 is not marked supported, but the 2008 r2 express is, if that would be true then the installation will not go through then since it is not supported DB.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you do a fresh install of 51u1/5.1, then the DB that gets installed is 2k8R2 express.. However on upgrade from 4.x versions the 2k5 db is retained.

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos
Isgren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay good , thank you for clearing that out for me.

/Stefan

0 Kudos