VMware Cloud Community
jtbbeaumont
Contributor
Contributor

Question about Mixed Cluster Environment - RE VM HW version

We have 2 clusters

Cluster 1 - 6  Hosts Version ESX 4.0

Cluster 2 - 12 Hosts Version ESX 3.5

I want to know the position where we should be as far as VM version number 4 vs 7.  Obviously I am talking about the 4.0 cluster and VM's on that environment.  Another admin in the team thinks we need to hold off going to version 7 until the entire environment is upgraded to 4.0.  I would like to upgrade test VM's to version 7 for purposes of faster backups.  Obviously, we need to use converter if a 7 VM needed to move to the 3.5 cluster but are there any concerns with having mix of 4 and 7 VM HW versions.  Would it affect the upgrade process of the 12 Hosts at all?  My inclination is no, I would like to get the opinions of the group here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can certainly have a hardware version mixture within the 4.x cluster. At this point you could run any of your VMs that are on version 4 hardware on the 3.5 hosts. After an upgrade you do need to use Converter. Moving a few wouldn't hurt anything other than your ability to move them to the 3.5 hosts.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
jtbbeaumont
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that is what I thought.  Some issues are hard to break through.  I just need a little reinforcement to go back to management with.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Do one and test your backups. Upgrade a clone and run your tests. Nothing better than a real comparison.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
jtbbeaumont
Contributor
Contributor

Oh there is no question that the backup performance is better.  from 30 min before(v.4) to 3 min after(v.7).  We use a product called Avamar by EMC and HW version 7 allows for us to take advantage of something called change block control.  We have another admin that thinks we should not upgrade any VM's on the 4.0 cluster because of the systematic nature of the admin guide.  this person thinks that having V.7 VM's on the 4.0 cluster will somehow affect the upgrade process of the 3.5 cluster.  Thanks again for your input.

0 Kudos