VMware Cloud Community
atariguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problems with upgrade from ESXi 5.1 to 5.5

We have the Essentials licenses. I upgraded the vCenter appliance to 5.5 and installed Upgrade Manager. Upgrade Manager and vCenter are all on different hosts than the one I first tried to upgrade. This host is on an IBM System x3650 M3. I was unable to find an IBM ISO for 5.5 U3, so I used the VMware ISO with the assurance from the documentation that the IBM stuff that was already installed would migrate from 5.1 to 5.5.

When I did the upgrade with Upgrade Manager, I did not check the box to ensure success by uninstalling 3rd party stuff. My thought was that it might uninstall the IBM stuff I wanted to keep. I manually powered off the VMs before starting. The upgrade got to 25% and then it said the host was disconnected. After waiting some time, I gave up and physically went to the host (located in a different building but not too far away, fortunately). I arrived in time to see it finish booting up. It said version 5.5.

Then I opened the vSphere client and saw that it was still disconnected. So I connected directly to the host instead of the vCenter appliance. It connected, but there were no VMs listed. I had to manually import them back in from the datastore. This worked for the ones locally stored, but some of them were on shared storage that is usually connected via iSCSI. At this point I realized that the host configuration that was appearing was from years ago, when I had different virtual network switches and no iSCSI. I changed things as necessary to get the local VMs working, and then realized I could import the ones on shared storage into another host and run them from there at least temporarily. That worked fine (I did have to tell vCenter they had been "moved" rather than "copied") and all the vital VMs were up.

I'm struggling to get iSCSI working. I'm configuring it the same way it is on my other hosts, but for some reason in the details under Storage Adapters, it's showing that I'm connected to the enclosure rather than to the disks.

vSwitchUSB0 (vusb0) that appears automatically on all my other hosts no longer exists on this one. vusb0 does still show under Network Adapters, but I don't have the option to recreate the switch. Do I need this?

Also, I don't know how many patches may still need to be applied to 5.5 U3. Upgrade Manager is still listing the newly upgraded host as being out of compliance with patches going back to 5.0.

I'm also a little worried about updating the other hosts, because I don't think things went normally with this one and I'm not quite sure what I should have done differently (would not checking the box have caused the problems I described?). I am thinking the next time I probably just want to be onsite and put the CD in to upgrade.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atariguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, I figured out the problem with the iSCSI connection to our HP MSA. I just had to do some remapping on the storage side. I was unable to figure out how to delete the old mapping, but I saw where someone said it will eventually go away on its own.

So now the remaining issues are the missing vSwitchUSB (assuming it's actually needed), I still need to figure out how to see which patches (if any) are still needed on this host, and how to prevent this nightmare from happening when I upgrade the next host. (I have another one that needs to be upgraded to 5.5 and 3 that I believe can be upgraded to 6.0.)

0 Kudos
atariguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've solved the mystery of what the vSwitchUSB was. It's apparently an IBM thing that is optional, and I probably don't need. It is a little worrisome that it disappeared when it's supposed to be recreated "within 60 seconds" if you manually delete it, though.

IBM Why does my VMware ESXi 5.x host have standard virtual switch vSwitchUSB0 with VMkernel port gro...

Something else I ran across is kind of confusing about upgrading. Under the directions for an interactive upgrade, the 5.5 docs say: "ESXi Embedded must not be on the host. ESXi Installable and ESXi Embedded cannot exist on the same host." I believe I am using ESXi Embedded, which came on a flash drive that plugs into the motherboard, but I don't see any different upgrade instructions for it.

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

0 Kudos
atariguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is the reason I've been really confused about what ISO images to use for upgrading:

"All new images and patch updates will be created using the Lenovo brand. Updating from an IBM branded customized OEM image to a Lenovo branded customized OEM image is not supported. The Lenovo customized image is not supported on IBM systems."

https://download.lenovo.com/servers/customized_image_reference_guide.pdf (page 34)

0 Kudos