VMware Cloud Community
buckhill
Contributor
Contributor

Problem upgrading to vCenterServer 5.0

I'm ready to upgrade my VMware environment (Essentials package) to 5.0 from 4.0. Step one is to upgrade the vCenterServer, and that's the first point of failure.

My vCenterServer is a VM running Windows Server 2008 SP2. The VM's only function is to be the vCenter Server. I run the installer, and right off the bat it gives me a warning:
[quote]"This computer is a member of a domain, but no logon server can be found. Please ensure that the computer is correctly joined to a domain and that a domain controller is available before attempting the installation again."[/quote]

The computer [b]is[/b] a member of the domain, and the DC is available, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this message. I've re-booted, etc., with no luck getting past this message.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nielse
Expert
Expert

Is the DNS / WINS working correctly? Also does the FQDN resolve correct?

A potential solution would be to re-add your vCenter to the domain and try again Smiley Happy

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
buckhill
Contributor
Contributor

That did the trick! I deleted the VM from the DC's Actice Directory, flushed DNS on the VM, etc., and eventually got it re-added to the domain. Now I am able to proceed with the upgrade.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos