VMware Cloud Community
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor

Post Upgrade VC 2.5 to 4.1 - License Server for supporting 3.5 Hosts Fails to install on Windows 2008 64-Bit

Greetings,

I wanted to share this, as this was a frustrating issue.

We migrated from Vcenter 2.5 to 4.1 and tried to setup a license server on the new vcenter running Windows 2008 SP2 64 Bit to suppport our 3.5 hosts.

During the install, it would get stuck at installing services and the only option was to cancel out of the install.

The issue with this is if the license server is not on the same system as the vcenter 4.1, it won't accurately show licensing information thus causing other issues like how will your VC 4.1 verify licensing for such things as HA, DRS,Vmotion,etc.

In the Windows 2008 Server event logs - it showed an error 1920.Service VMware license server failed to start.

I discovered that the documentation and knowledge base articles point to an old License server for 3.5 - the one from the main download page.

- note License server for 3.5 - 2008/02/2.

There is a bug or this build doesn't support Windows 2008 64 bit install.

The FIX was to use the latest Vcenter 2.5 DVD ISO - update 6, locate and install that version of license server off the DVD (don't use the autorun) - it had no issue installing. This version build was higher than what on the main download page for license manager.

Once that was accomplished - no issues with VC 4.1 seeing my licensing - thus restoring my original functionality.

I don't know if this was just an anomoly, but figure its best to share this.

-dhayashi-

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would convert this into a question and then mark it as answered.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos