VMware Cloud Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Post Upgrade Tasks

I already upgraded my hosts some time ago to 4.0 update 2. I am now upgrading to 4.1. Do I need to do the following? I'm not sure what it actually does. Also does the host need to be in maintenance mode?

"After the ESX/ESXi upgrade, you must convert LUN masking to the claim rule format. To do this, run the

esxcli corestorage claimrule convert command in the vSphere Command-Line Interface. This

command converts the /adv/Disk/MaskLUNs advanced configuration entry in esx.conf to claim rules with

MASK_PATH as the plug-in."

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you use ESX's LUN masking on your 4.0 installation (very rare - most people use array level masking - you would likely knwo if you did this)? If not, then no need to convert the nonexistent rules to a new format.

--Matt
VCP, VCDX #52, Unix Geek, Storage Nerd

9773_9773.gif

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I guess no one has done this?

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I normally do clean installations when moving to a new version, however, my guess based on the verbage used that you MUST run this in order to complete the upgrade if you used LUN masking.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you use ESX's LUN masking on your 4.0 installation (very rare - most people use array level masking - you would likely knwo if you did this)? If not, then no need to convert the nonexistent rules to a new format.

--Matt
VCP, VCDX #52, Unix Geek, Storage Nerd

9773_9773.gif

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I use LUN masking on my SAN. All LUNs presented to my ESX hosts are available to all ESX hosts...

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As mcgower said, you would not need to do this then since you aren't doing the masking at the host level.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent. Thank you both!

0 Kudos